New from Tucson AZ

Batchelder

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 18, 2014
I've been using BYC ever since I got the hair brained idea this Spring, that I needed chickens in my life. Turns out it was a pretty good idea. Who knew chickens could be so endearing?
Today when I went out for my evening chicken bed check/ lock down , I found that my EE AKA Eggers had flown out of my yard and was sitting on the fence in the alley. The alley is a thoroughfare for local Coyotes and Bobcats and not a good place for frisky chickens, so I yelled "Eggers what the #*? are you doing over there? GET BACK HERE!" and to my surprise she flew back to me. After I installed her in the coop I instantly turned to BYC for wing clipping advice and decided that this is too good a resource not to officially join. So here I am with Eggers, 4 BA's, 1 Dominique, and a GLW.

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. Yes they are so endearing I never thought I would grow so attached to mine or how addictive all things chicken can be. I have also found that chickens get to know there names and you can call them like dogs. I have polish and they can't see at the best of times because of there crests so they listen to your more and look for guidance. Maybe you could start chicken training? Be sure to ask lots of questions everyone very friendly and full of useful info. Good luck with your future chicken keeping :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If the fence your EEs flew over is high enough, it might keep the coyotes out, but bobcats are another story. If you find you are losing your birds to predators (a good possibility), you will need to attach enclosed runs, using hardware cloth (not chicken wire), to your coop for protection. In the meanwhile, make sure that your coop is predator proof, and that your EEs are securely locked up in it every evening before sunset. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in protecting your flock from predators.

Welcome to the flock, so glad you joined us at BYC. I think Eggers came back so fast because she was looking for you. Some people have "clicker" trained their chickens- so if you have the time, patience, and treats I'm sure you can do so too.

Most chickens can fly somewhat but, they will never rival racing pigeons. Actually when you clip their wings, even just one - you take away their best defense against predators.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, sounds like you have some smart chickens!!

Enjoy your wonderful flock! Chickens can be very affectionate and crave attention if given the opportunity.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom