New girl-hurt girl

mmhdlh

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2016
Hey everybody!
I'm a rookie mama to 5 layers. One had a hurt leg so we took care of her in our home for four nights. On the fifth eve she was walking normal so we put her back in with the other girls. All four attacked her within minutes. She's in a separate small coop now aligned with the run so they can all see eachother through the wire. What's best way to introduce them all back in the big run/coop? She's feeling good enough to lay again as we got our first egg yesterday (7th day from noticed injury) from her so we know she's better :)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Well, you are doing the right thing by aligning the coops so that they still see themselves. Very good move. After about a week I'd put her back in. If they keep pecking her, let them sort it out amongst themselves. Just give it a day, they would probably be sorting out their pecking order.

welcome-byc.gif

Good for you on setting things up so they can all see each other and get reacquainted first. It can be hard watching chickens go after each other working out their pecking order. Be sure your injured girl is strong enough to stand up for herself and no blood is drawn.

Good luck to you!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on CochinLover1 and NorthFlChick's advice; the "look but don't touch" method is the best way to re-introduce you chicken to the flock. There's a good article at https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens/ explaining how to do it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you everyone! So glad I'm here and sure appreciate all the advice and support. Looking forward to learning as we go and glad for all your input!
(Hopefully I'll have a successful update by mid week next week.)
1f60a.png

You've already had some good advice (in addition to you knowing what to do in the first place
smile.png
) so I'll just say a big hello!

All the best
CT

Chickens seem to have poor memories. They can forget a flock mate in a day or so and attack . Please do follow the "look but don't touch," method of re-introducing her to the flock. If it is one or two bullies but not all that are causing her grief. Give them a time out for a couple days in a crate with food and water - sometimes that humbles them when they are put back with flock.

Back
Top Bottom