New girls roosting in nesting box

Thank you for all of your great advice! The three older hens all huddle to one end of the 6'6" bar, so I'd think there would be plenty of room, but the pullets are pretty skittish. I got them as 12-week-old pullets and did not hand raise them, so they're not very calm. I also have three 7-week-old chicks that I did raise myself (couldn't convince my boys we didn't need chicks this year, haha). I was thinking about introducing them soon. Should I give the two older pullets more time to settle in before adding more craziness? They have been sharing a fence line for more than a week, so they somewhat "know" each other.

I also have three 7-week-old chicks that I did raise myself
Ahhh, the plot thickens!

Read back more carefully....
So the 14wos have only been there a couple weeks?
Am surprised the older birds even let them into the coop.

The 7wo's definitely complicate the situation.
It might be wise to wait a couple more weeks before allowing the 7wo's to mingle.
Lots of space, lots of hiding places, lots of feeders and waterers set far apart will help.

Dimensions and pics of your setup might garner some suggestions.

Ahhh, the plot thickens!

Read back more carefully....
So the 14wos have only been there a couple weeks?
Am surprised the older birds even let them into the coop.

The 7wo's definitely complicate the situation.
It might be wise to wait a couple more weeks before allowing the 7wo's to mingle.
Lots of space, lots of hiding places, lots of feeders and waterers set far apart will help.

Dimensions and pics of your setup might garner some suggestions.

Yes, the 14-week-olds have only been here a few weeks. They have a few trees and bushes to hide under, though the big girls leave them alone unless they are guarding treats. I have several waterers spaced far apart, and I've seen the little girls eating at the feeder in the coop. The 7-week-olds are still content in their small space, so I will just leave them there. They share a fence line, so hopefully when the time comes it won't be too traumatic.
The coop is 7x7, the run is 10' long.
IMG_7261.JPG
IMG_8227.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_8887.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG

Looks pretty good, lots of nice space there!
I'd add another roost in the coop, about same height and crosswise to existing.
Run looks secure enough to leave open 24/7....especially in winter, with some wind/snow blocks, will be great.
Might want to put the 7wo's setup inside the chicken 'pasture'.
Maybe rig a door they can get thru but the bigger birds cannot.
Might also put some hiding places in the run and 'pasture'....
....something like this, more in my run album.

Yes, usually younger "batches" of birds stay with one another in small cliques. I would most definitely get another roosting bar for them, and eventually them will all merge together as a flock, and it won't matter who's roosting bar is who's...

I wish to call your attention to the old adage that says:
"BIRDS of a FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER."

Well this is no more true than when those birds are getting ready for bed.

Keeping chickens is childs play as long as you let your chickens be chickens and forget about trying to turn them into feathered saints or even worse little humans.

I wish to call your attention to the old adage that says:
"BIRDS of a FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER."

Well this is no more true than when those birds are getting ready for bed.

Keeping chickens is childs play as long as you let your chickens be chickens and forget about trying to turn them into feathered saints or even worse little humans.
Alrighty... but I was just stating my chickens behavior lol!:lau

Back
Top Bottom