New goat owner questions

Nariah01

Songster
Apr 17, 2016
So my DH and I have been wanting to get a few goats for a bit now, and while not the best time in the world we have an opportunity to go get a goat right now. So I am mulling it over in my head to see what it would take to make it happen. They are going to eat her if we don't take her, but they really want us to take her. So her name is Oreo she is a three year old Boer doe, she has her horns and currently lives with their sheep flock. From what I have been told she is a bit skittish of people as well.

I know she will need a friend when she comes here, but I am wondering if it would be better to bring her home first and give her time to settle in here by herself? Or if it would be best to get her a friend ASAP? We do have two horses that she will be Paddocked right next to, but I know its not the same.

Also should I have my vet out to look at her before I get another goat, or should I just wait as long as she appears healthy and just have them out when I have both? Also what would be the best way to win a skittish goat over? I need to be able to handle her safely to get her feet done since she has her horns. Plus I have small children and I want them to be safe, they would never be allowed around her without us but I just have never had goats before so I don't know what to expect.

And I guess give me any other things that I ought to know that I might not know. :confused:
I plan to hang up my horses old nibble net for the hay, and I plan to get a bucket for loose minerals and baking soda. but anything else I am missing? We plan on having the goats for brush clearing right now, and eventually I might like to milk, so I would probably need to get her a dairy breed for a friend. I don't know, sorry for the saga. I tend to over think things and I appear to be doing it again. :rolleyes:

It would be best to introduce both goats to their new quarters at the same time. That way there are no territorial issues. As long as the goats appear healthy, in my opinion, just put them together. All the vet would do is make sure that their eyes are clear and not runny, that they don't have a snotty nose, have a normal temperature, and do not have the scours. You can do that yourself. I would worm both goats, give them a dusting of louse powder, and give them a shot of CD/T to prevent enterotoxemia and tetanus. To tame the skittish goat, you can try tying her up for a while and handling her each day. Groom her and lead her around. When you finish working with her for the day, give her a treat. She will be a little wild at first, but if you persist she will tame down before long.

Concur that getting two at the same time would be best, both for the territorial issues and they will bond as they both adjust to life in new digs. Food is a great tool for winning them over (provide two dishes so they do not fight over their rations). You could start by just staying a comfortable distance away (for her) as she eats, gradually working up to being next to her and brushing/petting her as she eats. Once she receives some scratches and petting, she will learn to trust you and will soon come running when you show up.

Ok all good information, and I will check out BYH and see about joining there as well. My biggest concern right now is some how managing to get both goats around the same time. I will have to bring them home in the back of my Subaru as I don't have a trailer right now, and the truck that has the canopy which would work great for bringing them home is down with a bad transmission. my Subaru will probably only fit one goat at a time, and I will also have to find a goat from somewhere else to be her friend. Do you think it will still work out ok if there is a few days difference in the times I bring them home? Or is that enough time for the one that gets there first to have already established it as territory?

And I will treat her like my horse in regards to winning her over then. I have a mustang who was wild at one point, even now she is sensitive about people. If I can win her over I am sure I can apply the same patience and win over this goat.

One idea if there are a few days separating when you bring each one home is to put the first one someplace other than what is going to be their regular pen - maybe a stall or something, that way both will be introduced to their regular pen at the same time. If you don't have that as an option, I wouldn't worry if it is only a few days - the first one will still be figuring things out. I got a mini horse delivered to me one time in the back of a minivan, your Subaru will work! :)

Put a crate in your Subaru for the goat if it can fit one!

I put two nigis in the back of my escape once, haha. I had a protective thing down, but holy goat poop....:lau

Also goats love raisins, one of my first two goats was incredibly shy when I first met her, but I would sit down in their pen and hand feed her raisins, that won her over fairly quickly :)

It's kind of like a dog- make sure they associate you with positive things!

Back
Top Bottom