New goat ???s

When they get to running and kicking their hooves up in the air, it is the funniest thing to watch. We have one girl that does it sideways.

Oh one important thing...don't feed them whole grains, it causes the over eating disease that really isn't over eating, it is like bloat.

I raise Nigerian dwarfs and Pygmy goats. I have been at this for a while now. The wethers I have only get hay and some whole oats for fiber. They have a tendency to put on weight really fast and lose it really slow. Dont ever give them corn...very very fattening and its nothing but sugar to them. A good quality hay is great for them and I use the cattle pour on wormer and give it orally. I dont pour it on anymore as it removed some hair off 1 of my goats. Their skin isnt as thick as cattle and can burn them.
Wethers are considered easy keepers. My wethers are in a separate pen from the other I have just so they dont get into the other feed. Loose minerals are like Purina 4 season, its a good loose mineral and you can get it anywhere they sell Purina. I have found it is high in selenium and copper and all the basics they need. Most goats dont like the blocks as they have to stand and lick it where the loose is where they can eat what they want, also get the loose salt at the feed store too its almost like table salt. They need this so they drink more water. A good horse wormer paste will take care of the tapeworms and the pour-on if its a plus will take care of the lung worms and others that the paste wont get. If you need anymore help just pm me.. He will feel better when you get him trimmed also, and have his teeth checked when hes at the vet too...just a good idea. Good luck with your little guy they make me SMILE when I am with all of mine...

As far as minerals...goats aren't good lickers, so they have trouble with the blocks and wind up just playing with them because it takes too long to get what they need off of them. Loose is much better. They won't overdose, so you keep it offered all the time. We use mineral feeders and keep them full.

Hay - feed small quantities often or you'll have a lot of waste.

I agree, loose minerals are better. Goats dont' have a rough tongue like a cow so can't lick the block as easily (but they will if it is all they have!). With male goats, make sure you get a loose mineral with ammonium chloride in it--this will help prevent kidney stones which can kill a goat.

Back
Top Bottom