New Goose mom!

DCUK22

Chirping
Feb 16, 2020
Hello,
I recently got my first Chinese grey goose!! I love her, she is about 1yr old and adjusting very well being here only a day. I wanted to know should I start handling her now or wait a few more days??

thanks!

I would love to she does not want anything to do with me
Sorry I read that wrong the first time, I thought it was 1day, not 1 year old.
Being a year old makes things a bit more complex, especially if she’s not used to interaction.
Start with treats and let her warm up to you, try not to make sudden movements and just sit with her, she’ll get more used to you and see you more and more as a friend and enjoy your company, some geese like to be held and snuggled, some like snuggles without being held, and others don’t like either but still enjoy being near their human flock, even babies raised from hatching can grow out of wanting to be held, others never do, it depends on personality.

My geese are weird, sometimes they like being cuddled and stroked but a lot of the time they will move their neck and head out of the way if I try to scratch or stroke it; I have noticed that if I just sit quietly on the ground with them and don't pay them too much attention, then they'll come up to me inquisitively, give me a little bit of a nibble and then just lie down next to me with their breast pressed up against my leg or whatever, but they'll move again most times if i then attempt to stroke them.

Sorry I read that wrong the first time, I thought it was 1day, not 1 year old.
Being a year old makes things a bit more complex, especially if she’s not used to interaction.
Start with treats and let her warm up to you, try not to make sudden movements and just sit with her, she’ll get more used to you and see you more and more as a friend and enjoy your company, some geese like to be held and snuggled, some like snuggles without being held, and others don’t like either but still enjoy being near their human flock, even babies raised from hatching can grow out of wanting to be held, others never do, it depends on personality.
Thank you, she is so awesome! I feel terrible that she is scared of me so I want to do everything I can to make her feel loved and safe in her new home!

My geese are weird, sometimes they like being cuddled and stroked but a lot of the time they will move their neck and head out of the way if I try to scratch or stroke it; I have noticed that if I just sit quietly on the ground with them and don't pay them too much attention, then they'll come up to me inquisitively, give me a little bit of a nibble and then just lie down next to me with their breast pressed up against my leg or whatever, but they'll move again most times if i then attempt to stroke them.
Thank you! I just see all these pictures of people holding and snuggling their geese and she wants nothing to do with me lol! I keep telling her just let me love you!!🥰

I have raised Gussie and Golly, my American Buff geese, since they were days old. To this day, Gussie will allow me to carry her and pet her, and Golly would rather beat me to a pulp with her very strong wings if I have to relocate her from, shall we say, the wrong side of the fence. Nearly identical in looks. their personalities are totally different.

However, both of them will very casually stroll up to me and investigate (that is, nibble on) my clothes and shoes if I ignore them and try to accomplish ANYTHING in the yard.

"Playing hard to get" and offering treats are the secret to my girls' hearts. I hope your goose learns to love -- or at least appreciate -- you soon. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom