New gosling...help

zanelee

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Deep in the heart of Texas
We received just a little while ago, a gosling. Don't know any more than that. Sweet little thing. Likes to cuddle.
Can anyone help me with what type of goose he/she might be? Age? Sex?
Thanks ya'll!

Aww, what a cutie! So as far as breed my inexperienced guess would be either African goose or a Toulouse goose. Age I would guess him/her to be around three or four weeks old. And gender I know you can do what is called vent sexing, but you would have to watch a video on how to do that, I have never had much luck with it, too afraid. I don;t have geese, I have ducks and I can sex them with their voice, I don't know if it's the same for geese. Sure is beautiful though and I got two out of three!

Thanks ya'll! Do baby geese need to eat anything in particular? He's not shown any interest in the ducks' or chickens' feed...but he did enjoy some grass earlier.
Any suggestions on integrating him into the chicken/duck group?

I have mine on Flock raiser, that way they can eat it all along without changing later when they grow up. I mix brewers yeast into it. 1 cup per 10 lbs of food and keep them on the yeast until 12 wks old. Learned that from the members on here. Its a niacin supplement which waterfowl need, but if you have ducks you probably know that. Works great at keeping them healthy. Grass is a must too. Chicken starter isnt always good for them especially the medicated. Mine live with the chickens and ducks just fine but are happier with a buddy of their own species. If you can get him a buddy he would be much happier.

Thanks ya'll! Do baby geese need to eat anything in particular? He's not shown any interest in the ducks' or chickens' feed...but he did enjoy some grass earlier.

Any suggestions on integrating him into the chicken/duck group?

Waterfowl feed would be a good idea also :) what a pretty gosling!

Back
Top Bottom