New goslings dying-am I doing something wrong?

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Wednesday we got 11 goslings (weeder geese) from MMH-all seemed to be doing fantastic at first. Last night we found one dead, and this morning one is lying on its side, unable to stand or hold its head up and looks to be dying as well. He had a pasty butt too, so we cleaned him off right away. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is just inevitable to lose some of them. They are getting MMH organic duck starter-also we gave them some chopped dandelions yesterday-I had read that they could have weeds right away, but could that be the problem? I just read online that once they are eating grass they need grit, so should I have given them grit when they are getting the dandelions? Bedding is wood shavings- but it is covered with a thick layer of paper towels, so I don't think they ate any of the shavings. Any suggestions?

update, liitle guy just died. I don't want anyone else getting sick, please help!!

Make sure you are NOT using Cedar shavings, they are potentially deadly. Use Pine instead.

If they are having pasty butt, something is upsetting their digestive systems. I've had my 2 goslings for a couple weeks now and they are only eating food made for ducks/geese with an occasional treat of *Greenleaf* Lettuce. I wouldn't be feeding them dandelions at such a young age.

Is their temperature correct? Any weezing? Any other symptoms of illness, or is it just the pasty butt/lethargy?

they are pine. So far, everybody else seems just fine. I took away the greens and will just let them have the feed for now. Also sprinkled a little grit on the feed to help with the greens they already ate-hopefully that will circumvent any more problems, if that is what caused it. Only the one ahd a pasty butt, the other just died. The rest are still very lively, eating and drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom