New Guinea keets hatching......

JacqueOCS

Songster
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
We have a guine mama sitting on quite a few eggs. These are her first babies as we bought her at 4 days old last year. So here's my question......she has her next in the front lawn under an old antique hay rake. As of tonight, 7 keets have hatched. I put them in a brooder w/a broody chicken. Should I leave the rest that hatch w/the mama guinea? I hate to take her babies but I've told Guineas aren't good mamas. If I took the mama guinea along w/her eggs and put her in the brooder...would she still sit in the eggs & take care of the keets? Just not sure what to do. Thank you for any advice ;)

Once you move her eggs, she'll most likely be done with them. And if you move her and her keets she may trample them trying to get out... but if you can catch her (and not lose too much blood and skin in the process) you can try putting her and the other keets that hatch in a brooder or small pen, but I'd keep her separate from the other keets, and the other Hen. And see how it goes, if she's a nut case, give the rest of the keets to the broody. Since you've already taken the 1st 7 keets away from the Guinea Hen she may kill them if you try to give them back to her rather than accept them. Guineas aren't always the best Mommas, but in a controlled, safe environment they can do a pretty good job... it just depends on the particular Hen and the particular situation. If you are successful at confining her and the rest of her keets that she hatches out I would keep her and her keets confined for at least 2 wks, (same with the broody and her adopted keets)... keets are pretty fragile for the first couple weeks.

You are welcome, hopefully I was of some help. Let us know how it goes, and how much blood you lost in the process, lol
fl.gif

Def helpful :D Our neighbors told us they had. Guinea mama several years that was mean as a snake if you messed w/her and her babies. Ours was upset while my hubby held her and I snatched the babies today......but she didn't peck him or chase us, thankfully. It was forecasted to rain heavy here all afternoon and I was afraid the babies would get chilled if left w/their mama. Each time we saw her w/a new keet it was running around her, not even under her. Maybe she just hasn't gotten the "hang of motherhood" yet. The mama hen has all 7 keets and her 4 eggs tucked up under her. Keeping my fingers crossed all,goes well. I just love these guineas!!!

Oh I do have one more question :p Being we have 10 adult guineas, will they (hopefully) accept the new ones being raised by the chicken once they're old enough to get outside and venture around? Thank you again for your time and sharing your knowledge :D

Yep, most Guinea Hens turn into wicked Tasmanian Guinea Hen Devils when it comes to protecting their eggs/nests/keets. You got lucky, sounds like you have have a rare mellow/tame Hen, lol.

If the older flock can see the Hens with their babies, but not get to them for at least a couple weeks they should be ok with them once you integrate everybody, but of course you'll want to keep an eye on everybody for a while until you trust the older birds not to harm the keets (one more reason I always recommend keeping the Hen raised keets confined for a while...til they are a little more hearty and agile enough to dodge the bullying).

Thank goodness our hen isn't a mean one :D Thanks again for the info. I'll be sure to move the keets to the chicken coop in a pen where the adult guineas can see them but not hurt them. Last year when we bought the original guinea keets, I kept them in a wire pen in the coop for a month so the chickens could get to know them before releasing them. Seemed to work well, thank goodness. So appreciate your time and sharing of your knowledge. Enjoy the day ;)

Back
Top Bottom