New guy from NC...

brx017

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Taylorsville, NC
Hey yall, what's up? Been lurking around on here for a few weeks, and I finally decided to introduce myself.

My name's Brooks, and I live in the small town of Taylorsville, NC. My lovely wife Natalie is 35 weeks pregnant with our first child, a little girl we're naming Delia Hope. Oh, and I cant forget about my sidekick Toby, our Westie.

I thought, what better time to get chickens than when my wife is 8 months pregnant! I mean, it's not like we have enough going on, right? ...So, here we are. I adopted some bantams from a friend. I currently have a silkie bantam pair... Moe and Flossie Mae, and a bantam cochin pullet named Ethel. They live in my grandmaw's 50+ year old outhouse that I moved to my house and converted to a coop.

I will share some pictures of my outhouse coop and flock as soon as I am able.

Later, Brx

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined.
thumbsup.gif

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
from Connecticut! The good news is: chickens are a lot less work than babies AND even a rooster will let ya sleep through the night! Best wishes with your new bundle of joy coming- they're the best (kind of like chickens in that you'll wonder what took you so long to get one!).

Hi Brooks, welcome, I am new too! I just got my first 4 chickens last Monday and I LOVE them. I have a Westie also, named Gizmo. Good luck to you and your wife
smile.png

Quote:
How does Gizmo do with your chickens? Toby tried to get one when I introduced them to him one day (while they were in the brooder still)... Luckily I had a good grip on his collar, since I didnt trust him. He didnt get ahold of it, but it was close. I scolded him and he sat still after that, but he was licking his lips the whole time, haha.

A few weeks later I put them outside in a temporary pen made from scrap 2x4 fencing a friend gave me. The chicks could go in and out through it if they wanted. Toby made a lot of laps around the pen, sniffing like crazy. I would fuss at him and he would just lay down and stare at them. After about 2 weeks I started letting them free range in the evenings while Toby was outside. He would try to walk up and sniff them, but they would run away of course. I would yell "leave it", so he wouldnt chase them. After about a week of that, he lost interest in them. Now when I go let them out in the evenings, Toby walks right past them to go find something to chase in the woods! It's funny, I thought he would harass them, especially since they're just bantams. Now they're somewhat used to him. They dont run away in a panic when he's nearby, but they keep moving.

Back
Top Bottom