1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Edfewlass, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Just getting started with chickens allready raise and breed Border collies I have app 3 acres I was thinking of starting with barred rock I live in nw Florida any help thanks [​IMG]

2. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Let me know if you need any help becoming a hatching addict! [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

Barred rocks are a great breed to start with.

Enjoy!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Welcome! Barred Rocks are my very favorite breed. I have ten hens and two BR roosters among my 40-something layers in the main coop.

5. mizauntcathy'shenhouse

mizauntcathy'shenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Howdy and welcome from Texas. Keep us updated on your progress.

[​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC... BR's are a good breed to start with, soon you'll have sixteen more breeds to go with them! [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Glad to see you here!!!! I think whatever breed you feel partial to is the one you should start with. I picked Buff Orpington's because the chicks are so darned precious, turns out they are a good breed too! Good luck and come back often!

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Welcome from a fellow North Floridian. BR's sound good. There are alot of Floridians on here We all have many diffierent breeds. We started out with a mixed flock but now I recently got some standard cochins,BBS Orpingotns, Australopes and Polish. Once you start they are like potato chips bet you cna't have just one. lol Welcome again Micki

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here!

Barred Rocks are beautiful birds and can be very friendly! Great choice!
    It might be worth your time to take a look around the Learning Center; there is plenty of information there that will help answer your most basic questions about raising chickens.

Are you thinking of getting into breeding Barred Rocks, too, or will they mostly be for you and your family?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by