New Guy

g.a.boy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hey everyone i am new to the forum. I am currently raising 9 RIR chicks but i am interested in meat birds also. I have ten acres a barn and pasture land so i have plenty of space to raise a fair amount of birds with out over crowding. So any suggestions on what breeds to go with and any of you Georgia people help me out with processing. Being new i would like to let a processing shop do it for now if anyone knows of any. thanks for any info

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry I can't answer your questions. Be sure and post in your State thread, to get help from folks closer to you. Under the index tab, then where are you where am I.....and finally find your state. Great for local advise and meeting new friends.

thumbsup.gif

read the stickies at the top, there is some really great information from some very experienced people on there. then my suggestion is try a dozen cx and see what the meat bird is all about, it's different and actually rather fun!
big_smile.png
and welcome!!!

I have 20 cornish rocks that I bought in March. If you want something that puts on weight really fast, then I would recommend them. But they don't like to go outside and so they don't forage at all. They also don't/can't roost and so you have to keep the floor clean because they just lay down most of the time. They won't be able to escape a predator very well because they are so heavy they can barely walk. They really don't seem to be as smart as all my other chickens either; they are not real curious. They just eat and poop. They eat a lot more feed than I expected and drink a huge amount of water.

Back
Top Bottom