New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
Quote:
My New Hampshires (we drop the red in the title, Reds go behind Rhode Island)
wink.png
are very laid back, but they are from true heritage/exposition type stock. As far as hatchery type NH's I don't have a clue about thier temperment as it has been 25 to 27 years ago since I had any hatchery type NHs they were from Stillwater hatchery (now defunct) back when they were not a polluted in my opinion with so much production type bloodlines and they were great birds. Pretty, docile and more true to type than the ones offered today from hatcheries. I think they should just call them Light Production-reds (hatchery NHs and some Red sex-links) and Dark Production-reds(hatchery RIRs and a multitude of other call names) and don't get me wrong not knocking hatchery type reds they do their job and lay eggs like crazy(I have gobbs of them, eggs and pro. red egg-layers) BTW might I interest anyone in some egg-laying, feed-eatin' red pullets while on the subject
lol.png

Jeff

Quote:
My New Hampshires (we drop the red in the title, Reds go behind Rhode Island)
wink.png
are very laid back, but they are from true heritage/exposition type stock. As far as hatchery type NH's I don't have a clue about thier temperment as it has been 25 to 27 years ago since I had any hatchery type NHs they were from Stillwater hatchery (now defunct) back when they were not a polluted in my opinion with so much production type bloodlines and they were great birds. Pretty, docile and more true to type than the ones offered today from hatcheries. I think they should just call them Light Production-reds (hatchery NHs and some Red sex-links) and Dark Production-reds(hatchery RIRs and a multitude of other call names) and don't get me wrong not knocking hatchery type reds they do their job and lay eggs like crazy(I have gobbs of them, eggs and pro. red egg-layers) BTW might I interest anyone in some egg-laying, feed-eatin' red pullets while on the subject
lol.png

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the quick reply and the info.
smile.png

I agree with the above post. Many production lines of alot of breeds have unfortunately not had temperment part of the selection criteria. I read about people complaining about mean NHs, Rocks, and Reds. None of them should be. Mine are very calm.

Quote:
Sweet and
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
congrats on your first NH pullet egg

Yes I know exactly what you were going thru on the egg-waiting game I thought my project gals were going to never ever get it going but they did finally and today I saw my #1 project boy practicing his moves on one of the elder hens in the flock. she wasn't even remotely interested in his show at all.
roll.png
lol.png

Great pic OSUman even if its not your bird, we all need/love to see pics of NH's. Evidently there aren't many pics. of them out there.
Thanks

gjensen- howdy and I totally agree with your follow up post , too.

Jeff

big_smile.png
Hello! I haven't been on here much lately. Our hens have been laying for some time now, and two days ago we got 26 eggs... that would have to mean that everyone laid an egg, and 3 laid two eggs (or some other such combination). Is that possible? We gather all eggs daily, and they are all gathered from the boxes in the coop, so it would be really difficult to have missed one the day before. We normally get 18-20 eggs, from 23 hens. We had one roo in the bunch, and the neighbor's 3 roosters - have no idea what breed - have taken up daytime residence with our flock. They free-range during the day, but two or three hens are always in the coop in a box. They don't seem to start laying until late morning for the most part, and they lay all day long. We have sooooo many eggs I can't give them away fast enough. I've frozen quite a few, too.

They are *very* routine-oriented, which makes for easy care, and we are still loving them! They are super-friendly, with a couple of them readily jumping onto our laps when we sit in the swing. They are all worse than dogs about begging for treats. And they are quick to gang up on any dogs that might get in their way (we have a Chihuahua and a feist) and peck their faces and necks, so the dogs give them plenty of room.

I went back through my old posts and see that I did say I thought these were RIRs, as they looked "most" like the RIRs when they were younger, and I couldn't get the ag ext agent to call me back. He finally did, the day before the show/sale, which we did not attend, and told me they are NHs. I'm still not really sure the man knows for sure though
sad.png
as I never got the impression he was just too interested in the project himself.

Edited to say I am now adding photos...and I am obviously NOT a photographer!

303045_1560155339933_1716801186_793038_1499650597_n.jpg

303045_1560155379934_1716801186_793039_714546464_n.jpg

303045_1560155299932_1716801186_793037_2052611595_n.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They appear that they could be called a hatchery's version of a New Hampshire. I would be hesitant to call them by the breed name though. They are apparently great layers, and appear to be pretty and healthy girls. I am sure that they are alot of fun.

I've recently gotten into the New Hampshires and love their laying ability and body type. Right now I only have hatchery birds though and was wondering if anybody has any for sale. I'm not picky I'll take hatching eggs, chicks, started or adults. I really want a rooster but would like some hens as well. Can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom