New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
It is so nice to see other people who like and get excited about New Hampshires. They do not seem to be too well represented at many shows, at least not the ones I have been to. I had a reserve American Champion on a New Hampshire cockerel many years ago. His name was Ulysses and he was a really good looking fellow. I am hoping to get some well bred New Hampshires and do some breeding of my own with them. I don't know much about the strains that are being used, I just seem to find that the New Hampshires from commercial hatcheries are smaller than they should be and the roosters end up looking like production reds. I have seen some nice NH bantams being shown, but I like standard size birds and I like to have them the size that the APA standard calls for. It is good, of course, to have them lay well but I think they should look like New Hampshires too, and for that they need to be carefully bred.

New Hampshire from Sweden!

Apparantly my photo won't upload
He's gonna be up for sale at our local poultry event in Sept.

Mine has white lehs & a different comb but he looks almost exactly like this one

New Hampshire from Sweden![/quote]

Last edited:
I think you can eat any chicken at any age as far as I'm concerned. A friend gave me a whole lot of roosters somewhere around 27 of them and all ages. I had them processed and I stewed them. They were great and everyone said they will be tough. Not true, you can crock pot cook any thing and it will come out tender. I didn't think two was old.

This is my New Hampshire broody, I got her and 10 others at t.s.c. the last week of February. They started laying the 3rd week of July and she started sitting the 2nd week of August and hatched 6 of 9 duck eggs. Now she is on the nest again just 8wks after hatching them.

Back
Top Bottom