New Hampshire Red (neck that is)

Fishman43

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
Durham
Hello from southern NH. No chickens yet (still convincing my wife), but soon!

This past fall when our neighbors chickens quit laying and we had to buy store bought eggs again she realized what a differance there was. Since then my lovely wife (who puts up with my all to many hobbies!) has started to come around to the idea. I am hopefull that I will get to place my order soon for some layers to grow out for eggs this coming summer. I am not all that muchof an actual "redneck" either (except during garden season when I am quite litterally red on the neck), but I love large scale gardening/small scale farming and do my best to produce as much food on my little 1 acre as I can... Now where can the cows go... (JK of course!)

welcome-byc.gif
from North Carolina

welcome to BYC. I had some husband convincing to do and I did! this summer I got my chicks.I ordered from meyer's and of course you can only get a min of 25;). So I've got 25 beautiful girls who just started to lay.So have fun doing it I know I am.

Last edited:
Thanks all! At this point I am thinking I will order from McMurray since they have a smaller min. order

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

We're new to this chicken thing, too, and couldn't be happier with the ladies (hubby calls them "the Wandas"). He was dubious at first as I seem to keep the "honey do" list pretty full. He had to build the coop, run, etc. (I helped, of course) and put up with a less than thrilled neighbor (she doesn't get the benefit of fresh eggs like the others do!
tongue2.gif
). We were both quite surprised by how much we actually enjoy them. I think your wife would come around. He and the Wandas have some lively conversation when it's his turn to do the chicken chores and he's actually contemplating a second coop for meat birds.

As far as buying our chicks, we were pretty green and had no idea we could mail order them. As we live in a semi-rural area, they have a farm supply store that has hundreds of baby chicks every year.
jumpy.gif
I did a little research to make sure we were getting breeds that were cold hardy and laid brown eggs. We also wanted only pullets (no since really antagonizing the unfriendly neighbor with a rooster!). If you have a farm supply store, you could go that route. As it was getting close to the end of the chick sales, the saleswoman tucked three extra ones in the boxes "just in case." All of them have survived and are thriving. We have eight total--I only wanted three! Be careful, they can be addictive (especially after seeing all the different varieties at the Illinois State Fair!).
wee.gif

Enjoy the forum!

Aloha &
welcome-byc.gif

I am happy you are going to venture in Chicken Husbandry. Your family will enjoy them and you will be who the chooks will be expecting when you go to care for them. I know that this sounds corny but you will see the individual personalities of your flock arise with age, Chick-Hen. There are many types of breeds as what was indicated by other posts here. There is a "Search Bar" where you can type in word links to certain breeds of chicken. (a little advice to help your endeavor along) You can also just make a Post to ask others opinions with pictures so you can see their own pride and joys. But these are just little suggestions for you. So welcome to the flock and enjoy the site. I Know I do.

To everyone else who have already started their chicken experiences, congratulations to you!

Back
Top Bottom