New Hampshire Red??

emerald eyes

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
I raised these chickens from 1 day old chicks. The hatchery did not specify what breed these were. I was thinking they were New Hampshire reds since there coloring was lighter than a few other chicks, that I think are Rhode Island reds. I need to reduce my flock and want to make sure I offer the right breed of chicken.

New Hampshire red?
112329_pb280117.jpg

Rhode island red
112329_pb280118.jpg

Both together (lighter one on left)
112329_pb280122.jpg

There is no breed called New Hampshire Red, just New Hampshire. They are on the New Hampshire side of things, but from their look, they seem a bit like mixes, so you'd be "safer" calling them a Red cross or perhaps production red pullets. I see no RIR in your photos. They are beautiful, btw. Very pretty.

Now I am really confused. I have a rooster (a few actually) which I thought were definately RIRs. Now not so sure!

Here are my boys!
112329_pb280100.jpg

112329_pb280116.jpg

Quote:
They are very close in color, in fact when they are all running around its often difficult to figure out who is who. Both pullets & roos are hatchery chicks from McMurray. Not sure if I am ever going to buy chicks from them again. The 25 brown egg layers turned out to be 4 roosters and 20 pullets (one died during shipping due to high heat & post office delays). I couldn't believe they would send live chicks during the hottest season by priority mail, it took almost 4 days to reach me and they were all very thirsty & hot!

Just call them brown egg layers and let your buyer call them what they want. They do look like very good, healthy chickens and I think they would easily be sold. As for McMurray Hatchery, I have always had good luck with them. They refund or replace any chicks that do not survive the trip. They can't be responsible for post office delays.

Fred's Hens :

There is no breed called New Hampshire Red, just New Hampshire. They are on the New Hampshire side of things, but from their look, they seem a bit like mixes, so you'd be "safer" calling them a Red cross or perhaps production red pullets. I see no RIR in your photos. They are beautiful, btw. Very pretty.

Yes the New Hampshire is only New Hampshire. But so is the Rhode Island. In fact it's more true in the Rhode Island, also existing in Black, Blue and White.​

Back
Top Bottom