New Hampshire Rer or Rhode Island Red?

delsi64

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Riverton
Will someone please explain the difference between Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire Reds? I have heard that the Rhode Island Reds don't go broody. Is that true? Which would you choose for the purposes of having a broody that would raise her own chicks? Thanks

If you want to be sure of getting a broody, neither. NHR is a little more likely to go broody, but you could raise a lot of hens before one did. RIR also occasionally go broody, especially if they are good breeder stock rather than hatchery, but it is unusual.

There are some breeds that do usually or always go broody:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

See my sig. line. The broody hen does not care whose eggs she sets.

As for broodiness, you have a better chance with a NHR. Production reds and RIR don't go broody often.

I have a partridge rock that goes broody, also a CA White X Porcelain D'Uccle that is broody right now.

you want broody go with silkies. I think they will try to hatch a nest of rocks if you let them...
Chris

Production Reds and Production New Hampshires, do not , as a rule , go broody. Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires, breed according to the APA book of Standards will go broody more often, but were still breed to be duel purpose birds.

Back
Top Bottom