New Hampshire!!

I'm having some bad luck with chicks! I just picked up some meaties to replace the ones that died. I should have waited! I went to this dive of a feed store I have never been to, when I opened the door and lost my breath from the amonia smell I should've turned and left. But no, I bought chicks. The chicks were all stacked in containers, no heat lights, no food, no water and dead and dying ones in with them. The place was so cold the girl at the counter had a jacket on! Not to mention the chicks were starving as they sat there eating onion rings. It was insanity, I will never be going back there!!!

oh thats terrible, can i ask where that was? Also last year and this year i got some of my chicks at tractor supply and one benefit to that is that the chicks that are there already made it through the shipping process because TSC gets their chicks through USPS just like everyone else. And If one doesn't make it its their problem, even though it stinks when a chick dies... Also i got all of my meat chickens from blue seal in bow (concord) last year and not a single one died out of 35 and thats right up to process day!

I would also like to know where you got the meaties from. I usually get mine from Clark's Grain and have great luck there.

It wad on 125 in Barrington. I think my fall meat birds I will order through Blue Seal and my layers will always be local. I don't want to relive this experience lol

I'm having some bad luck with chicks! I just picked up some meaties to replace the ones that died. I should have waited! I went to this dive of a feed store I have never been to, when I opened the door and lost my breath from the amonia smell I should've turned and left. But no, I bought chicks. The chicks were all stacked in containers, no heat lights, no food, no water and dead and dying ones in with them. The place was so cold the girl at the counter had a jacket on! Not to mention the chicks were starving as they sat there eating onion rings. It was insanity, I will never be going back there!!!
Oh My Goodness they should be reported. That is just awful. I cant imagine what I would do if I walked into a store like that. It definitely wouldnt be pretty.

Last year I got my meaties from Meyers and I was very happy with them. I ordered 25 straight run they sent 1 extra all survived and grew huge and they were super healthy. I will prob order from them again this year unless TSC gets theirs from Meyers also then I might get them there.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I lost several more over night, I'm pretty upset obviously. I have had good luck with Meyers in the past, I hope this is just a terrible fluke. Hope everyone else's chicks arrive safe and sound!

Angie

That is so sad. What many people may not know is that once they make it to the airport to ship, if there's a careless ramp worker who leaves them out in the cold for too long (either upon departure or arrival), there's a pretty good chance there will be losses. Now I hope there aren't too many careless ramp agents but I've seen a few. It's the same when shipping dogs or other animals. Some get loose because the workers are paid so low that they just don't care. I think the same thing happens to our chicks. :(

That is so sad. What many people may not know is that once they make it to the airport to ship, if there's a careless ramp worker who leaves them out in the cold for too long (either upon departure or arrival), there's a pretty good chance there will be losses. Now I hope there aren't too many careless ramp agents but I've seen a few. It's the same when shipping dogs or other animals. Some get loose because the workers are paid so low that they just don't care. I think the same thing happens to our chicks. :(
That infuriates me that people don't care about living creatures ....

I bought my last batch of chicks from Agway in Concord and they did great. The 3 polish chicks I have right now are from Dodges Grain in salem and they seemed to be well taken care of and the people were knowledgeable and you don't have to order in advance, you can just go and get the chicks that you want. they have a list on their website saying what chicks are coming in on what day although the polish arrived a day early.... I would call the day before according to them the chicks seem to be arriving early lately.... I lost one but the other three seem to be fairly robust and it was nice to be able to just buy the number of chicks I wanted and just go and get them. It was a bit of a drive from my house, about an hour but it was worth doing and they had some different breeds listed

For those of you who suffered losses of chicks in transit, I am very sorry to hear it, it is always sad. Have you contacted the hatchery you purchased from? Most hatcheries will replace chicks at no cost if you suffer significant losses. Always be sure to contact the place you bought them from to see if they will help you out. Buying from a feed store is usually another matter, they don't often guarantee any sort of live animal purchase, but it does depend on the specific retailer. Still, most of the big name hatcheries have pretty good policies and customer service, so don't hesitate to let them know if you have a bad experience! And good luck with all of your future chicks!

Back
Top Bottom