New Hampshires or Black Australorps for roosters?

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Had thought I was settled on New Hampshire roosters as the most of the pullet chicks I’ve ordered are New Hampshires, and a few Rhode Island reds.
I realize individual personalities and the fact that these are going to be hatchery birds are all factors.
Which would most likely be the less aggressive with both people and hens?

Personally, I would never have a red breed rooster. Do you want fertile eggs to hatch? If you went with an Ameraucana rooster, you would produce reliable laying EEs.
Thanks for your response. I have heard that before about red roosters and had hoped that New Hampshire may not have been as RIRs, but was getting a little nervous about it.
Yes, I’m hoping to get some fertile eggs to get some replacement pullets for the second winters laying.
I usually have an EE hen or two, for egg color variety, but I’m not a fan of the egg color of the crosses. I kept a EE/Lavender Orpington cross rooster from one of last summer’s hatches, but not going to let any hatch this year, as I’m ordering a new group of chicks. That EE cross rooster is unpredictable occasionally he will run at me or fly up at me while I’m changing their water. That could have come from the Orpington side as those Orpington roosters I had were viscous.

My Ameraucana roosters have been the nicest of any I have had. Their sons on the other hand have been 50% jerks. Can't say who the moms were off the top of my head but I only try to hatched eggs out of the friendlier good laying ones.

Absolutely not advocating to use an EE rooster for breeding. No guarantee that genetics he will contribute to his offspring. You can easily get brown egg layers which defeats the purpose. If the purpose of keeping a rooster isn't blue, green or olive egg producers, and he is a nice specimen, then go for it. I want roosters where I can guarantee the offspring will produce green, olive or blue egg layers so I've stuck with Ameraucana.

Had thought I was settled on New Hampshire roosters as the most of the pullet chicks I’ve ordered are New Hampshires, and a few Rhode Island reds.
I realize individual personalities and the fact that these are going to be hatchery birds are all factors.
Which would most likely be the less aggressive with both people and hens?
I would go with australorp. Mine have all been friendly.

Well, the order is set to be shipped the week of May 30th.
Order is for,
8 New Hampshire females ( got some the last time from a farm store and really like them. Very friendly, good layers, the best winter layer for 2nd year hens I’ve had. Hoping at least one will go broody to raise some second year additions for that winter)

4 Black Australorp females ( have had them a couple times from different farm stores. Mixed results and n laying the current group are good layers of large eggs but the first group was not as impressive. Both times they have been quiet passive birds.

3 Red Stars females ( have had a few of these before, not overly impressed, but hoping to get a range of brown egg colors, and seems as if these lay I bit darker brown than others on my list. Hoping they hold up and live and lay, through the next fall/early winter in case nobody else goes broody to raise replacements.

3 Black Minorca females ( for a few white eggs in the basket. Used to get white leghorns all the time, and while they lay great and good quality eggs, they are so flighty and flap and fly around they are so annoying. Last couple times I didn’t have Leghorns, and the chicken pen is much more peaceful. Hope these Minorcas are a bit more calm.)

1 Americauna/Easter egger. ( just for some variety in egg color, not a fan of their egg color myself, but they seem to be decent layers and some people like the difference.)

2 Black Australorp males ( had mixed results with roosters, and know that it can go any degree of ways with any. Had a good Barred Rock rooster but he was hard on the hens. 3 Lavender Orpingtons that were very human aggressive but usually decent towards the hens. Currently a LO x NH who is decent after a few rounds with him. A LO x EE that is tough on the hens, and unpredictable towards me.
Hoping these BA’s will be tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom