New Hampshires

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Richie, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Richie

Richie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    My farvorite breed has always been New Hampshires. They are such beautiful chickens. They are not nervous, as a rule, lay really nice brown eggs and are just an all around nice chicken. You don't see too many of them at the poultry shows and most people, even here on line, don't talk about them too much. But, check them out, they are great birds and worth having.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Heya -

I have one NH hen, she's a good broody (when she's in the mood). I had some NH roos, though - nastiest things I've ever had in my presence. I'll never have another NH roo on the farm agaim.

The hens are cool, though.

meri

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two hatchery NH pullets. Both lay beautiful eggs, one quite dark actually, with a shiny surface. They are good size eggs, too, for girls who just started laying recently.

4. vttoad05452

vttoad05452 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Essex, VT
    Hi all,
    I live in VT and we hatched about 50 NH Reds this summer. I now have about 12 roos....way too many, and we're looking to cull many of them and keep the ones with the nicest disposition.
    However, in order to hatch eggs from this bunch next year, I need to introduce a different line of NH Red to this flock. I have several NICE pleasant NHR roosters to swap or sell, in exchange for a couple NH Red roosters of a different line (ours came from a private seller out west who sold us eggs in May.)
    Can anyone help me out? I'm located in Essex, VT.
    Thanks, all!
    Donna

5. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    this fall I went to buy a Silver Ameraucana from a lady and also brought home 2 NH Red pullets. I am so impressed with them. Calm & friendly and good layers. They came from Mt. Healthy. I have other chickens that came from that hatchery and I like them all. Anyway, come this spring I'm getting more of the NHR's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by