New Hatch, Keeps pecking at toes, other issues too with leg and wing.

AshleyB22

Hatching
Oct 18, 2022
Have a chick 3 days old. Was shrink wrapped in egg and had to help it hatch after 24hrs. Much smaller than the other chicks has some leg and a wing issue. Really struggled the first 24 hrs after hatching but now trying to keep surviving even with the difficulties.
It has a bulge under the skin on his bottom and keeps chirping loudly and pecking his one toe on his bad leg, it’s now red and cut. Any thoughts on why it would be biting his toe aggressively or what I can do to help????

Attachments

• 3BBA8196-4557-4C85-8327-D82D9A21358A.jpeg
    3BBA8196-4557-4C85-8327-D82D9A21358A.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 708ACC95-C786-4F72-95A8-8DEF6EB79478.jpeg
    708ACC95-C786-4F72-95A8-8DEF6EB79478.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4D81493C-6A9C-4CFD-A104-65B5490A7AA1.jpeg
    4D81493C-6A9C-4CFD-A104-65B5490A7AA1.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 72A0F8F9-CF96-43AB-91AC-5BAABC963ECB.jpeg
    72A0F8F9-CF96-43AB-91AC-5BAABC963ECB.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 3
make sure it has good heat and apple cider vinegar water to encourage drinking.. try some scrambled egg and maybe put some anabiotic cream on its leg/foot area, Photos were a bit unclear so I’m not quite sure what’s happening with its bottom but it could be poopy butt?? I can’t quite see you can always YouTube it aswell hope she pulls through!!

Have a chick 3 days old. Was shrink wrapped in egg and had to help it hatch after 24hrs. Much smaller than the other chicks has some leg and a wing issue. Really struggled the first 24 hrs after hatching but now trying to keep surviving even with the difficulties.
It has a bulge under the skin on his bottom and keeps chirping loudly and pecking his one toe on his bad leg, it’s now red and cut. Any thoughts on why it would be biting his toe aggressively or what I can do to help????
Welcome To BYC

Can you get some better photos of the bulge under the skin - is it the navel or the vent that is bulging?

Shrink wrapped, is there any membrane residue or fluff sticking to the feet? Any hair wrapped around the leg or toes? The feet look a bit swollen.

I'd work on hydration. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, this would be good to give. Give the chick a direct oral dose of 2-3 drops twice a day.
Plain fresh water in between and wet feed.

Encourage the chick to eat/drink on its own. Do provide a warm spot for her, but enough space so she can move about to food/water.

A video of her walking/moving may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Welcome To BYC

Can you get some better photos of the bulge under the skin - is it the navel or the vent that is bulging?

Shrink wrapped, is there any membrane residue or fluff sticking to the feet? Any hair wrapped around the leg or toes? The feet look a bit swollen.

I'd work on hydration. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, this would be good to give. Give the chick a direct oral dose of 2-3 drops twice a day.
Plain fresh water in between and wet feed.

Encourage the chick to eat/drink on its own. Do provide a warm spot for her, but enough space so she can move about to food/water.

A video of her walking/moving may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Been doing the Poultry Drench the first 2 days. It has been able to drink water on its own when it comes out from under the warmer. Tried wet feed but didn’t notice any eating. Sometimes pecks at pieces on the ground.

I’ve cleaned it off in a little bath don’t see anything on that toe besides where it’s biting itself. The toes do look swollen.

The bulge is off to the side of the vent. But have to keep cleaning the pasty butt off it.

Thanks for the extra tips, I’ll see if I can get a video uploaded.

Since she's picking at food pieces on the ground, try grinding up the chick starter to smaller pieces.
Scatter the pieces on a piece of paper towel in the brooder. Tap the food with your finger, pick up the pieces and drop them and say "here, here, here" or something similar. This sort of mimics a Mama hen picking at food, dropping it and calling chicks. No, I'm not joking, I do this with chicks that don't seem to connect to food right away, it sometimes helps, sometimes not. Unfortunately, if it's not, then often, they don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom