New hatched chick with deformed feet

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
Hi all, Id like some advice. I have one baby out of 11 with feet that turn in and toes are curled. Im thinking of splinting it with cardboard supports to encourage it to use its feet more normally, She is a really determined little guy. He doesnt let any of his sibs leave her behind but he is struggling to balance and get around. She is about 2-3 days old today. Is it too early to try and splint. He/she is with its mama and sibs in the coop, not an incubator.
Thanks for your help,
Robin

Yes, you can splint that early. I've never done it before, so I don't know how.

Isn't it amazing how resilient our birds can be? There's a thread on here somewhere by a person whose chicken's feet came off, (it's a weird story) and it still gets around!

I don't know if your way is working, but cardboard didn't work for me, I had to use a dime and tape the foot down and it worked.

Good luck

I got a better look at the little guy/gal. He is using its feet pretty well. Its just a little slow but managing. It turns out the toes are straightened out but not all present. On each foot there is the one main toe and the side toes are either not there or very small. Im letting the little fella be for now. She seems not to mind the deformity so Ill just keep my fingers crossed that she gets enough food and thrives.

Back
Top Bottom