New hen acting odd snotty nose!

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
I just purchased a hen at a swap meet Saturday. She's lethargic and staying on roost with a snotty nose. Eats and drinks fine!

Did you put her with your existing girls?

Sounds like she may have respiratory illness with the snotty nose.
Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes or other symptoms?

You have MG in your flock correct? But if you got her Saturday, then she may have already been sick since it usually takes about a week to show signs of symptoms after exposure, so if you've only had her a couple of days, it's unlikely she picked it up from your girls.

You can try treating her with Denagard like you do your existing flock or giving Tylosin/Tylan to help treat symptoms.

It would probably still be a good idea to separate her out for observation to see if she presents with any other symptoms, give her a going over for lice/mites, etc.

Did you put her with your existing girls?

Sounds like she may have respiratory illness with the snotty nose.
Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes or other symptoms?

You have MG in your flock correct? But if you got her Saturday, then she may have already been sick since it usually takes about a week to show signs of symptoms after exposure, so if you've only had her a couple of days, it's unlikely she picked it up from your girls.

You can try treating her with Denagard like you do your existing flock or giving Tylosin/Tylan to help treat symptoms.

It would probably still be a good idea to separate her out for observation to see if she presents with any other symptoms, give her a going over for lice/mites, etc.
Yes unfortunately she's with them. Her eyes look great only a snotty nose. I put Denagard in their water. She seems fine today. If it gets worse I'll bring her in and treat her with tylan. Ok that sounds good! Thank you so much! You always come through for me lol ❤️

Back
Top Bottom