New Hen Introduction

Teembo

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2019
Hi there,
I've got a roo and 5 hens about 6 months old that I've had since the first of May.
Got 2 fully grown producers this morning, left them in the coop, and they have both layed.
My others roam free all day and I have a Pullet Shut for night time.
I know I should keep them separated at first, but;
1. Should I let them roost together the first night and separate first thing in the morning?
2. Should I keep them in the coop for a few days before I let them loose?
3. Will the new birds laying encourage the other hens to follow suite?
Best,
Teembo

It is best to keep them quarantined for several weeks in case the newcomers have some sickness. I have no facilities to do this though.

I wouldn't let them run together until they've been able to see and talk to each other without being able to hurt each other. And when you do watch them carefully, it's better to give them some time to adjust, they are very socially strict animals, lol. Do you have a way to keep them separate but visible to each other?

As far as laying goes, they will lay when they're ready and not a minute sooner, haha and I'm going through the waiting game right now. Good luck!

Oh and Hi there :frowand :welcome

Birds tend to stick together, even when they have not become a flock. Being as the pair is older and there is two of them, I would expect some dust ups, but for it to settle quickly. I would introduce them to each other in the late afternoon or early evening.

When I have boughten laying hens, generally they lay the first day, but then skip a couple of days. That egg was in the pipe so to speak. Change does upset birds, and that will upset laying.

Only time will get the younger birds to lay. At 6 months, I would expect them to do so soon, with or without the mature birds.

Mrs K

hello @Teembo ! welcome to BYC :frow
I know I should keep them separated at first, but
you should quarantine any new birds - it's too late now as you've already put them in the coop, so I hope for you that they are not carrying any pests or diseases to infect the rest of your flock. The best thing you can do now is read up on signs and symptoms of pests and diseases and keep a very close eye on all your birds.
Yes they will need to be kept in for a few days to log this as their new home. No their laying will not encourage the others; they will lay when they are ready.

Hi there,
I've got a roo and 5 hens about 6 months old that I've had since the first of May.
Got 2 fully grown producers this morning, left them in the coop, and they have both layed.
My others roam free all day and I have a Pullet Shut for night time.
I know I should keep them separated at first, but;
1. Should I let them roost together the first night and separate first thing in the morning?
2. Should I keep them in the coop for a few days before I let them loose?
3. Will the new birds laying encourage the other hens to follow suite?
Best,
Teembo

1. Sure, hopefully they will go into coop, but they might not.
2. Would be best, but might be too late for that, the other birds may need access to coop for laying, so might be hard to do.
3. No, but they may show them where to lay.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Teembo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-28_6-56-27.png

Back
Top Bottom