New Hen is sneezing? No other symptons.

awesomefield

Hatching
Mar 15, 2016
Roosevelt
A couple of weeks ago, I posted that we had a sick hen. She ended up getting sicker, had a weepy eye and her limp hadn't gotten any better. We thought it was coryza and culled her. My husband said he could smell her when he culled her.

We bought a new hen into the flock from a lady that had a bunch of chickens she had bought from Cal Ranch or IFA (I forget). Anyway, we got a black sixlink, that she thought might have been 3 months old.
She has been in a separate cage by the run/coop. We have let her forage with the others after a couple of days, but they tend to chase and peck her. She goes into the cage at night. I've noticed that she has developed a sneeze? A little bit of a rattle. I don't recall hearing that on her when we got her that day, so it's possible that it's from our flock?
I've posted a video of her. Today there's a white crystal powdering on her nose, I don't know if she just got into something? I haven't tried to wipe it off yet, and didn't see any references about powdering on the nose when I googled diseases. What should I treat her with? She eats and drinks fine. Her eyes look bright. I've checked feathers around her neck, but didn't check her vent when I had her (she's a little hard to catch when she's in the yard) She has some white dandruff like material on her feathers, but on the forum, people have mentioned that its due to their feathers coming in. My main concern is the sneezing or nasal passage clearing. There is no nasal discharge, her eyes are bright. The temperatures have been cooling off in the evening to 50's and 60's. Her cage is under a tree, and there is mainly dead leaves and dirt in her run area.

0.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that we had a sick hen. She ended up getting sicker, had a weepy eye and her limp hadn't gotten any better. We thought it was coryza and culled her. My husband said he could smell her when he culled her.

We bought a new hen into the flock from a lady that had a bunch of chickens she had bought from Cal Ranch or IFA (I forget). Anyway, we got a black sixlink, that she thought might have been 3 months old.
She has been in a separate cage by the run/coop. We have let her forage with the others after a couple of days, but they tend to chase and peck her. She goes into the cage at night. I've noticed that she has developed a sneeze? A little bit of a rattle. I don't recall hearing that on her when we got her that day, so it's possible that it's from our flock?
I've posted a video of her. Today there's a white crystal powdering on her nose, I don't know if she just got into something? I haven't tried to wipe it off yet, and didn't see any references about powdering on the nose when I googled diseases. What should I treat her with? She eats and drinks fine. Her eyes look bright. I've checked feathers around her neck, but didn't check her vent when I had her (she's a little hard to catch when she's in the yard) She has some white dandruff like material on her feathers, but on the forum, people have mentioned that its due to their feathers coming in. My main concern is the sneezing or nasal passage clearing. There is no nasal discharge, her eyes are bright. The temperatures have been cooling off in the evening to 50's and 60's. Her cage is under a tree, and there is mainly dead leaves and dirt in her run area.

0.jpg

Sounds like she has a respiratory illness. Whether she picked it up from your flock would be hard to say, but if you just culled a sick bird and she has been exposed to your flock then it's very possible. Ideally any new birds should be housed away from your existing flock and quarantined for at least 3wks.

I'm not sure what the white substance is on the beak, see if it will clean off, and if it comes back.

Keep in mind that antibiotics may help with relief/support care and help with any secondary infections - treatment does not "cure" respiratory illnesses. Recovered and exposed birds remain carriers for life even if they show no symptoms.

You can try treatment with Tylan 50 injectable, given orally, or seek a vet's help. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom