New hen lethargic and not eating

Honora

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Cavan, Ireland
I got 2 hens and a rooster 2 weeks ago. When I first got them they seemed healthy and fine. I have been isolating them in a shed away from my flock at night, and they have been outside in a run away from my flock for part of the day. A few days after I got them they seemed to develop a slight cough and some wheezing. I put them on a course of antibiotics which they have just finished. They have not been eating well and have lost weight since I got them.

Unfortunately one of the hens seems to have taken a turn for the worse now. Last night my husband said she vomited when he picked her up to put her in the shed. This morning she is puffed up and not eating at all, although she is still drinking. She is weak and very thin. I have the feeling she is not going to make it. Any suggestions?

A few days after I got them they seemed to develop a slight cough and some wheezing. I put them on a course of antibiotics which they have just finished. They have not been eating well and have lost weight since I got them.
Unfortunately one of the hens seems to have taken a turn for the worse now. Last night my husband said she vomited when he picked her up to put her in the shed. This morning she is puffed up and not eating at all, although she is still drinking. She is weak and very thin. I have the feeling she is not going to make it. Any suggestions?
Sounds like one problem is a crop issue https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have they recovered from the respiratory illness? I would also look inside her beak for lesions or canker.

If you have a vet that will do a fecal float, see if worms may be an issue as well.

Sounds like one problem is a crop issue https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have they recovered from the respiratory illness? I would also look inside her beak for lesions or canker.

If you have a vet that will do a fecal float, see if worms may be an issue as well.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they are recovered from the respiratory illness. I was just about to put them with my flock when this hen became ill. I think maybe the antibiotics caused some crop issues and that's what's going on. I will treat her for sour crop & hope that helps.

Unfortunately the vet in my area does not see chickens in the office but if you describe the animal's symptoms they will prescribe meds. It seems like if she has worms she would still have an appetite though, right? Not sure...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they are recovered from the respiratory illness. I was just about to put them with my flock when this hen became ill. I think maybe the antibiotics caused some crop issues and that's what's going on. I will treat her for sour crop & hope that helps.

Unfortunately the vet in my area does not see chickens in the office but if you describe the animal's symptoms they will prescribe meds. It seems like if she has worms she would still have an appetite though, right? Not sure...
Well, crop issues can be caused by numerous things - the antibiotics may be a contributor.
Worms, Coccidiosis and reproductive problems are also common causes. Inflammation and/or infection from any of these can slow the system.

I would treat as sour crop and go from there. Hopefully you will see improvement.

Back
Top Bottom