New Hen not laying!

klcbell231

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 5, 2014
Littleton, CO
So we brought home this sweet 2 yr old Brahma girl from the county fair Sunday, and her owner said she laid everyday...she even laid an egg while we were at the fair on the Thursday before! We brought her home and put her with our other two Wyandottes (16 weeks) and 4 ducks (3 runners and a mallard). We have not gotten any eggs yet!!! I don't know if she is still stressed, or doesn't like our egg boxes (they might be too small??), someone have any advice/ideas?? She gets along with the ducks great, but she pecks the other hens sometimes...we have straw for the Ducks under the coop and straw in the nest boxes. the coop is all pine shavings. She goes in at night and sleeps on the perch next to one of the vents. We're new time chicken owners so all advice would be much appreciated!!!

She is 2 years old, so you won't be seeing very meny eggs, chickens slow down laying at 1 year. I only have one 4 year old laying and it's only one or two eggs a week. She may only lay a few eggs a week, she also may be stressed from the move, so give her time.

Very pretty hen! X2, stress like moving to a new home will often stop hens from laying.. they will often lay an egg or two that is in the pipeline (like the one she did at the fair) then stop for a few weeks to even months, Brahmas aren't the best layers so she may only lay 2-3-4 eggs a week anyhow.
If you add strange hens to your flock again, you might want to consider doing a medical quarantine since they can bring home diseases to your flock... sounds like she is getting along with the other hens well enough you'll be OK, but also doing a gradual introduction over a few weeks through wire will help prevent pecking order issues if you get an aggressive hen. The Learning Center has a nice article on adding chickens to your flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Oh I guess I didn't know they slowed their laying at 2! Yeah I was just worried because her owner said she was laying every day, guess she lied
tongue.png
thanks! I'll be patient!

Back
Top Bottom