New hen with chicks

Sammythepup

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
I just got a hen and her five chicks as none of my hens were broody and I was wondering how hard will it be to introduce her and her chicks to my other 8 hens and rooster, We're keeping them separate for as few days so she can calm down and settle in, None of my chickens have interacted with chicks since they were chicks themselves will this be a problem? And will mama hen be fine protecting her chicks if there is a problem? Any advice would be helpful :) Mama hen is a pretty tough bird as she was with a huge flock full of chickens and ducks of all ages and hatched these out in a bramble patch :D

I would take it very slowly. Size of your set up and whether you free range can dictate how hard or easy it goes. Either way I would house them next to or within sight of the existing flock for a few weeks before attempting any mingling. I would probably wait until the chicks are 8-12 weeks, than see how it goes. By than your flock should be somewhat familiar with seeing them.

Well I have a really large coop that should easily house twice the amount of chickens I have, I have a semi large run right next to the coop that I haven't used much as I free range, But I have the new hen and chicks in a smaller coop in the run, But I'm afraid the hen would get bored cooped up in the run for 6 more weeks, They'll be able to see each other all day when they're out they already looked at each other today before they went to bed, the chicks are only two weeks old right now so the smaller coop will work for a few more weeks but it's gonna get crowded if they have to wait too long.

I'm just giving an average suggestion. Sometimes you have to try stuff and see he it works out than adjust things from there.

Because the broody hen is new to the flock, and has tiny chicks, it will be best to proceed slowly. Maybe let the broody and her babies free range for another week or so, so she knows the territory, and then when the chicks are at least four weeks old, let the flock and mama free range together, while you watch. Be ready to save chicks!
It may go well, or not. Mary

Yep, that she is new to your flock makes this into a whole new ball game. How does your roo react to her and the chicks? In this situation, he may be your greatest ally or your greatest enemy. Depends on whether he sees her as an asset to his harem, or considers the little family to be interluders. Slow and careful, perhaps when you allow a bit of integration, only let your most mild mannered hen out to free range with mama broody and babies. Allow interaction, one hen at a time so you can assess each bird as she reacts to Mama and babies. Consider that Mama's broody hormones are at their highest within the first 2 weeks, then they rapidly decline. Those hormones turn her into Godzilla unless she's a broody wuss. (I had one of those. Good Mama, but scared of her own shadow, and would not stand up to the flock bullies) Overall, it's easier to integrate youngsters into a flock than waiting till they've entered puberty.

My rooster seems really interested in her and is acting like when we first got him and he'd try to get out to be with the hens, Mama hen is strong enough to hold her own with the bullies, Most of my hens are nice and probably won't mind a new member of the flock but I have a couple bully Rhode island reds that might have a problem with her, we'll probably wait a week at least so she knows this is her home before we try getting them together.

Back
Top Bottom