New hen with history of prolapse and clear, runny poo

Squishypuff

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Kernersville, NC
A friend of a friend needed to find a new home for one of his Silkie hens, and so I agreed to take this one on. I am not sure how old she is, but she's been laying for some time apparently. From what I was told, she has a history of prolapse. She lays an egg every day, so I guess whatever happens, I'll see if the prolapse is an issue tomorrow when she lays again.

I was expecting something really ugly, but her vent looks just fine. I've got her separated in a large dog crate at the moment, by herself. I got two birds, so they're both in quarantine, but they were fighting like mad in the box right before we got them home so I decided they needed to stay apart for the moment.

Should I be worried about the prolapse, or should I just treat her like a normal hen until it shows up again (if it does)? Right now she's got crumbles and oyster shell, and I gave her some NutriDrench in her water. I was a little concerned that she was pooping huge, clear, runny poop. To me, it kind of looked like egg white, but I think that is likely a product of my nervousness over the prolapse stuff. I've read a ton so I think I'm expecting things that are not yet happening.

The other hen was making big runny clear poo too, so my thinking is that they've just been drinking like mad because it is miserably hot around here. Does this sound logical? Anything i should be doing for this hen that I am not, or anything I should do differently?

I don't have any first hand experience with prolapse so I can't give you any advice with that. I can tell you that since we've been experiencing hot weather, my chickens' poop has become watery and runny as well. I know they are drinking more, as I wash their waterer daily, and it has been a lot emptier lately. I wouldn't worry about the runny poop unless it persists or you notice other symptoms. Good luck to you with the prolapse issue - it was nice of you to take in a chicken with this problem. I hope you get additional advice from others with more experience soon.
smile.png

I imagine being stuck in a box with a strange hen also affected both hen's bowels! I'm just being neurotic!

The prolapse prone hen is beautiful and calm- I figured even if it was really severe, I'd try my hand at fixing it. Worst case, I'd have to humanely cull her. Around here, Silkie hens are not so easy to find, so I feel very fortunate. Hopefully she will continue to do well. If the prolapse should reoccur, I've read a ton over the last few days and have everything I need on hand.

The other hen is so cool- she is a "Sizzle" frizzled silkie.

Back
Top Bottom