1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hen...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by foamspoon, Sep 4, 2007.

1. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    Someone at work came up to me and told me how his father has a lone RIR hen less then a year show up in his backyard and wont leave. No one knows where it came from. He asked me if I wanted her. My RIRs are 6 months old. Will they accept her in the "pose"? He also says her beak has been "clipped" would that effect anything?

What are everyones opinions?

Bryan

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I would put the bird in a cage to introduce her and get them to know eachother. Try them together when you can be there and see how it goes. I read somewhere that its best to add the new bird to the flock at night and let them wake up together. I would be sure i was going to be around in case it did not go well. I think they will work it out. I have a big rabbit cage and if i were in your shoes, thats what i would try. Maybe some people can offer better ways to try. Either way, Good Luck!!!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well..because the hen just "showed up" you have no idea if she is sick...or infested with mites/lice. You should quarantine her from your birds at least 30 days. ( dureing this time worm her, and delouse her) Then, put her in the coop, in a seperate cage...for a few weeks. If possible, run a chicken wire wall between them. After a few weeks...I would just open the wall....at roost time...let them mingle. Good luck with her.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Geeezzzz, I never have chickens just show up at my house.
    And agree with the other two posters, make sure she is not sick first before mixing her in.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You really need to keep her separate to observe her, give her good food and dust her, maybe even worm her, since you dont know where she came from.
    I agree-I never have stray chickens just show up! Everybody else has all the luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by