New hens harassing old silkie

Caliopi64

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
Hello,
We had one black silkie and after a few months I felt bad for her all alone there and decided to get baby chicks. I got 2 buff silkies, a rooster buff silkie, 3 silver laced and 3 turkens. They assured me they were all gentle and good layers.
I noticed the silver laced are not gentle at all and even peck on the silkie rooster, but I thought it would get better
Everything went well until our black one got broody and stayed in the coop most of the day. I have been away for a few days and today found out the black silkie has missing lots of feathers of the top her head -no blood, but a hard skin like callous....she might be stressed as she is still broody? I am guessing if they big ones pecked on her head she would have blood or a wound...can I do anything to help her to grow back her feathers at the top of her head?
She is very frightened of the silver laced, and doesn't get close to the flock.
I guess the best is to keep her separated, but I am also considering getting ride of those silver laced ones. Any advice? Thanks!

Don't separate the bullied, separate the bully, for as long as a month. Then reintroduce, and the chicken will start as the lowest in the pecking order. The feathers will grow back after the next molt - you can try putting Rooster Booster on it or some other bad-tasting stuff to ward off further pecking/feather eating.

It is possible that the broody was sitting in everyone's favorite nest. If so, move her to another nesting site (at night if need be).

Don't separate the bullied, separate the bully, for as long as a month. Then reintroduce, and the chicken will start as the lowest in the pecking order. The feathers will grow back after the next molt - you can try putting Rooster Booster on it or some other bad-tasting stuff to ward off further pecking/feather eating.

It is possible that the broody was sitting in everyone's favorite nest. If so, move her to another nesting site (at night if need be).

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom