New Hens laying tiny eggs

Uncle Rhino

Chirping
Aug 9, 2019
Port Orchard, WA
My hens just turned 18 weeks some of them are laying these tiny eggs. None of my other hens laid such small eggs before. Anyone able to tell me why this is happening?

Attachments

• 2019-08-22 14.54.16.jpg
    2019-08-22 14.54.16.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 16
My hens just turned 18 weeks some of them are laying these tiny eggs. None of my other hens laid such small eggs before. Anyone able to tell me why this is happening?
Did you have your other hens when they just started to lay?
Pullet eggs are usually small, can take days or weeks or months for them to get up to a 'large' size.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Uncle Rhino
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-23_7-23-6.png

View attachment 1885981 This just happened to our girls! They all started out laying so tiny! I really thought they couldn't get much bigger but 3 weeks later we are finally getting normal sized eggs :) I've always been told "it's their bodies learning how this works" lol!

I attached a photo of our very first egg ever next to a super market egg :)
Thank you. Had a few lay eggs with no shells. A lot of double yokes too. Just had never seem tiny eggs like these. I was worried I was missing something. Thank you all very much.

Back
Top Bottom