1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ariel301, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I got some new chickens last week, two hens, two pullets, and a rooster. They are all bantam EEs except for one white leghorn hen. The two hens were laying an egg a day for the lady I bought them from (or so she told me) and there were eggs in the nestboxes in the coop when I went to pick them up. I know it took them a few days to settle in to their new home and routine, so I guess that accounts for them not laying, but I'm just wondering when they will start again...or if they're calling it quits for the winter. They seem comfortable now, and are getting in the nest boxes to sleep at night, but I don't see them get in the boxes during the day. The leghorn hen is brooding the bantams whenever they take a break to rest during the day, or when they sleep at night! I don't have a completely indoor coop for them (I do have shelters for them to get out of the weather, but it's more like a dog house than a regular coop) or artificial light, so I know the short days will affect them, but it is not cold at all here. I tried putting fake eggs in the nests and they threw them out. Do you think putting a few real eggs from the store in there would give them ideas? Or is there something else that might encourage them? Lol if they don't start laying my husband is talking about just sending them to the freezer...

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get into gear. Chickens like routine and when there are major changes, like moving to a new home they may stop laying for awhile. Give them time to readjust and they will start laying again. Some may take longer than others, all birds are different. Be patient. I would break them of sleeping in the nest boxes unless you don't mind poopy eggs. My roosts are higher than my nest boxes. I use golf balls in my nest boxes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Yeah, I would rather they did not sleep in the nests. I'm still trying to come up with a roost that they like; they can't get too high off the ground since their wings are clipped. Not knowing much history on these birds makes it tough to figure them out too; I don't know what they were eating or really much about how they were kept before I got them. The last owner didn't know much about them I think; she kept calling the EEs 'Anacondas' when I asked her what they were. I think she meant Ameraucana lol...

I guess I'll just keep (im)patiently waiting for them to start back up again...they fit right in with my freeloading goats who stopped giving milk a month early!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by