New hens sleeping in nesting boxes instead of roosting bars

Chrugger

Chirping
Nov 1, 2020
I know others have asked similar questions, but they all seem to be in the context of younger hens.

We added 4 new hens (about 2yrs old, ISA Browns) to our flock of 14 hens about 2 months ago. They are healthy and laying really well, but don't seem interested in sleeping on roosting bars, only nesting boxes, and only those 4 new hens. We have 3 tiered roosting bars (2x6s) spaced at least 12 inches apart and 18 inches up from each other. I've tried a number of times going in every night and manually placing them on the roosting bars and blocking the nests until morning, but they always revert back to the nesting boxes when I stop. They were picked on some during the initial few weeks of joining the flock, but it doesn't seem like they're bothered anymore, I've even peeked in on them and watched for a while after placing them on the bars at night. The 14 original hens seem to take up the top 2 tiers, so the bottom and longest bar is completely empty, which is where I put them when I go in at night.

Anyone know of any other tricks to convince new hens to stop sleeping in nests, besides weeks of blocking the nests every night and unblocking every morning?

Thanks in advance!

Try putting horse bedding pellets in there instead of straw or whatever you're using. That broke 2 of the three doing that. The third one still does it, but you know what? The eggs are sparkling clean. Just stir those pellets once a week or so and voila!

Try putting horse bedding pellets in there instead of straw or whatever you're using. That broke 2 of the three doing that. The third one still does it, but you know what? The eggs are sparkling clean. Just stir those pellets once a week or so and voila!
I will definitely try that! Thanks!

I know others have asked similar questions, but they all seem to be in the context of younger hens.

We added 4 new hens (about 2yrs old, ISA Browns) to our flock of 14 hens about 2 months ago. They are healthy and laying really well, but don't seem interested in sleeping on roosting bars, only nesting boxes, and only those 4 new hens. We have 3 tiered roosting bars (2x6s) spaced at least 12 inches apart and 18 inches up from each other. I've tried a number of times going in every night and manually placing them on the roosting bars and blocking the nests until morning, but they always revert back to the nesting boxes when I stop. They were picked on some during the initial few weeks of joining the flock, but it doesn't seem like they're bothered anymore, I've even peeked in on them and watched for a while after placing them on the bars at night. The 14 original hens seem to take up the top 2 tiers, so the bottom and longest bar is completely empty, which is where I put them when I go in at night.

Anyone know of any other tricks to convince new hens to stop sleeping in nests, besides weeks of blocking the nests every night and unblocking every morning?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
Some of mine sleep on the roost, others in the nest boxes. I like to let them choose, and since both choices are protected from predators and have about the same ventilation, I don't worry about it. However- I clean the nest boxes more often when this is happening.

Back
Top Bottom