New hens

caveman paul

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
I got four more hens about 20 weeks old. I had them separated for a month now from my rooster and Bantam hens. To assimilate them to my old flock I have them in a smaller cage inside my bigger pen that is about a 20 foot circle. The new hens (two white longhorns and two red) have been in the separate cage for a week now so the other Hens and Caveman Paul my huge Barred rock rooster can see them and be near them but not get to them.
Today I didn't close the door to the smaller cage well enough and one of the whites got out. Caveman was pecking the heck out of the back of her neck until I stopped him and put the hen back in the smaller cage.
I plan on waiting at least another week or two before I let the new hens out.
My question is will he continue to do this? If so how do I stop him, He is not an aggressive Roo to the other hens he grew up with or the Bantam Roo he grew up with. Just the new hens.
Thanks for any help!
tongue.png

Here is a pick of the pen and the coop.
Picture118.jpg

Any time you introduce new birds to your establish flock there is going to be some pecking.....

Everyone SHOULD settle down within a few days, but you will need to watch during that time.

There are many things you can do to help the transition go more smoothly. . . .

1.) MAKE SURE you have HIDING SPOTS so that the new ones can hide from the others

2.) MAKE SURE you have EXTRA waterers and feeders out so that bullies don't keep the new ones away from food and water.

3.) GIVE THEM as much ROOM as possible during the introduction period....

I like to introduce mine to each other while they are free ranging. This is not a good idea if you have not bonded with the newbies already.
I do this when I am trying to blend two groups together. They already know me and are not afraid of me. So, I can catch them if I need too.
This won't be so easy with newbies that are new to you too.

The alternative to this is . . . let the old ones free range and let the newbies loose in their new place. Let them explore and get familiar with the new set up BEFORE
the old group returns. Let them explore the new place for a couple of hours. Then, if possible introduce one hen to the new flock... let them deal with one hen before
bringing on the whole flock... An hour or two later, let another old hen in. Each time the group will not feel as threatend as compared to the whole flock coming in and picking on them at one time.

Space, Hiding spots, extra waterers and feeders, AND watch for bullies that just won't get over it!

I let the new hens out today. They mingled in with the rest of the flock and are now a nice happy family.
big_smile.png

Out off all the hens ive ever gotten i never isolate them for 30 days i never introduce them, i pick them up,take them to my feild, feed the hens then put them down and the hens dont notice them untill they have finished there food, either way the hens will fight wether you introduce them or not
hmm.png

Chickens are crazy. They peck & fight each other all day then its roost time & they buddy up. Hey buddy its gonna be cold tonight can I sleep next to you.

Back
Top Bottom