New here and 1yr new to chickens

I'm a fairly new chicken mom. Got chickens last year in May 6 of them. Buff brahmas, a speckled sussex, and an easter egger. Then in Sept I got a few silkies and a little satin something. All is well with them. I love them and they are so sweet. My silkies are a bit off at times and seem skiddish but were working on it. Just yesterday March 21st I had a silkie mama hatch a chick. I'm am a mess. I don't know what to do. I'm so nervous for mama and baby. Stress mess! She's sitting on another egg as well and I'm not sure if it is a live egg or not. So we have that going on now too. Thanks for having me!
Welcome. Yes, Silkies equal broodiness. I have 2. Momma knows what to do, just make sure she has chick feed and water. We are here to help, just ask questions as needed.

Last edited:
Hello all,

My momma hen is doing just great with her new little chick outside. I'm amazed that she just knows what to do and that tiny little chick is just running around the run with them. I have noticed twice today when going out to check on them that baby keeps having poop stuck to her little butt. Will momma clean it up or do I need to do something for her? Do I need to bring the chick inside to monitor her? Thank you all for your help and knowledge!

Hello all,

My momma hen is doing just great with her new little chick outside. I'm amazed that she just knows what to do and that tiny little chick is just running around the run with them. I have noticed twice today when going out to check on them that baby keeps having poop stuck to her little butt. Will momma clean it up or do I need to do something for her? Do I need to bring the chick inside to monitor her? Thank you all for your help and knowledge!
Momma can't clean the butt, so it's best you keep the little one clean. You might offer up some plain unsweetened yogurt for mom and baby to eat to help with the pasty butt. Just a tablespoonful, once a day, hold the spoonful out for them both to eat. If mom eats, baby should too. If baby won't eat, maybe put some probiotics in the water.

Back
Top Bottom