New here and I need some flock management advice, please :)

(pulling feathers out constantly and eating them?)
on feather pecking and eating, this is a good resource
https://www.featherwel.org/featherwel/
The first time one of these roosters runs at me and tries to attack me, he's gone.
He might be just rushing over to greet you because he's pleased to see you. Please read this before you do anything with your accidental roos
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

I'm so in love with the Bielefelders and yes, one is a cockerel. The cockerel in question is a Prairie Bluebell Egger. None of the roosters are people aggressive at all, the other three are great with the pullets, only the Prairie Bluebell Egger cockerel is being mean.

If I were starting from scratch I think I would get all Bielefelders and Cream Legbars. Such absolute sweethearts. Even the cockerel is a big teddy bear.
I did not keep my super friendly roosters last time and now regret it (purebred Sussex). Because to buy one with a great temperament is more difficult. Plus if you raised and hand feed them, they are more likely (I think?) to see you as the top rooster master. However, feather-pluckers and aggressors have to go, You don't need 4.
And think yourself lucky BTW. I hatched 4/6 roosters in my first batch! All cutie-pies. Hatching is always risky, but fun. At least you can self select the best ones to keep

Swedish flower hen roosters are human friendly too. Not so aggressive towards other rooster breeds also.
I got a Swedish Flower rooster (from MPC or Meyers, can’t remember) and he was ok for one year and then started getting the Spring crazies, year after year, a bit worse each time, calming down again sometime in Summer. I had him trained to leave the coop when I entered, same for the run. But he became insufferable once he turned five, trying to attack me even going around the bucket or other tool I was holding between him and me. Absolutely nuts. Always was a brute with the hens, too… I guess there are always exceptions. He was gorgeous though.

Back
Top Bottom