New here and in need of some emergency advice

swatchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I have been intending to join since picking up a dozen chicks (I never get tired of saying that...) two weeks ago -- all of whom are happily peeping away in the brooder behind me, but now an urgent situation has arisen and I'm needing some advice.

A member of my husband's firefighting crew was gravely injured in the line of duty yesterday and he has one hen and one rooster in his urban yard, in an eglu with a run when he isn't there and free range in the yard when he is. I have agreed to transport them the 70 miles to our rural home as soon as I can, but that might be a few days. Here are my questions:

-- As long as someone stops in to check on their food and water until I can get them, are they likely to be okay confined in the eglu for 3-5 more days? They've been in there since Wednesday and we're expecting rain this weekend.

-- How predator proof is an eglu? When we bring them here, I can put the eglu into a covered dog kennel if needed, but I am not familiar enough with eglu's to know if that's needed (we have every predator known to chicken kind here).

-- I've had chickens before, but I've never received them as adults -- how well do they tolerate major changes in their environment?

Thanks in advance for any input, and all thoughts, prayers, etc for our friend's well-being are deeply appreciated.

As long as they have food and water, they should be ok for a couple days.

If you have predators, you'll need to make sure the kennel is covered and just do your best to protect them. An igloo is not the greatest for a rural farm chicken.

They should do ok as long as they have food, water and shelter. The hen may stop laying for a bit, but it is normal.

ETA: Keep these birds away from your chicks for as long as possible and make sure to care for your chicks before you do anything with the older birds.

Last edited:
On the subject of change, they will be fine!
I moved a flock of 16... twice! They freak out a little during transport, and are wary of the new space for a day or two, but adapt quickly. Keep them confined to their new run (the kennel) for at least 3 days up to a week before letting them free range. Just like with cats! After that, they will have no problem going back home at night. In fact, our stupid hens who never went into the coop with the others at night at their first home are now model citizens and put themselves to bed every night
smile.png
No trouble at all any more. In fact, those who laid eggs in stupid places are all now laying in the coop too! Behavior improved noticeably after the moves. Though the new (bigger) coop might have helped with that too.

Back
Top Bottom