1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

new here and need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickyluv, Dec 12, 2007.

1. chickyluv

chickyluv New Egg

Dec 12, 2007
    australia
    we bought 6 pure bred hens last weekend age 7 weeks,i was told to get them used to their home and where they are to sleep for about a week before we let them free range but they wont go in to the darkened section of the hen house when its dark they want to stay in the run cuddled up in a corner and so far each night we have had to pick them up and put them in physically,can someone tell us what we are doing wrong and how to fix this problem.

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    The two things I can think of is they just haven't aclimated to their environment yet or they're cold. You didn't mention if the coop has a heat source in it or not. I think I'd start with that first. Put a light in the coop to warm it up a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Once they "get with the program" they'll put themselves to bed around dusk all on their own.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think the advice is that you should keep them in the actual coop night & day for at least a week non-stop. They will get attached to sleeping in the coop.

Then after a week or so, when you let them out in the run or free-range them during the day, they will automatically go back into the coop at sunset. Right now they don't know the difference between the run and the coop.

By the way, congratulations on your new chickens, and welcome to BYC, the best forum on the web!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Yes keep them in the coop for a week. Then let them out in the run to see if they go back on their own. If not you keep them locked in the coop for a few more days they should get the idea by then.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Another thing is, if they were brooded to 7 weeks under a lit heat lamp, they might be afraid of the dark.

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you turn on a light when it is dark? We turn one on to draw ours into the coop at night. The light is attached by an extention cord that leads from our garage to the coop. I let them eat and drink while I lock their pop door up tight. I go and count all of them and say good night. Then I pull the extention cord out of the wall to turn off the light, so that I'm not going back into coop to disturb them after they are settled. I will add a timer eventually, but I like going out there and saying good night to them.

The above advise is good about locking them up for a week to get acclimated to new environment. When ours made the big move to the coop, I think we would round them up at night, shut them up in the coop and then leave them in coop until about 11 am the next morning and then let them out in the run. About a week of that, they would file in by theirselves at night. After the time change we have a few that love to stay out in the dark.

Go......Follow.......into the light! Good luck! They will adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by