New here and to new to owning chickens....

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Hi first I just want to say want an informative wonderful forum this is. Second well I recently bought a house that has a chicken and rabbit coop. I have small children and I homeschool so I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to learn about chickens and get some.

I bought 4 straight run silkies and 4 cochins. I have had them with a heat lamp for about 1 1/2 weeks now. I try to handle them as much as possible without stressing them and the kids as well supervised but they are really skittish. Is that normal? Do they become more affectionate as they get older?

I feed them medicated chick starter food and water like the breeder told me to. Do I need to give them anything else?

The silkies are purely for pets, and the cochins will be for there eggs BUT I want organic eggs so how do I go about that process and how long will it take for them to produce eatable eggs? Thanks and sorry for so many ?'s.

Chickens start laying at about 20 weeks old
feed them medicated chick starter food and water like the breeder told me to. Do I need to give them anything else?

Not inless your feeding treats then you need grit.​

Young chicks are always skittish they get over it. I never feed anything but chick starter. Keep feed infront of them at all times also water. Im raising 50 standard chicks aand keep light on at nite they move lots of feed but they are surely growing fast. Someone else will have to ans about organic.
hu.gif

those are my favorite I also have silkie and cochin bantams..
tongue.png

Last edited:
Just be slow, soft and gentle with all movements. Try not to make movements over their heads so they don't mistake you for a predator. Some chick crumble in the hand usually has at least 1 chick curious enough to come over to check it out which brings the others over too....silly things!

It just takes a little patience and time.
smile.png

I can't help with the organics part of your question, but I'm sure there will be others chiming in who can.

Make sure your kids wash their hands after handling the babies, have fun and enjoy!

Welcoe. You'll love it here everyone is really nice and informative. I have some silkies and a cochin and I love them. Sounds like you are doing everything you should.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome
smile.png

I am a newbie too hehehe and a homeschooler.
We just got ours Saturday and they were very jumpy and skidish until today when I put each chick in a wrapped shirt and held them. They loved it and fell asleep for a bit and now are not jumping when we reach into the cage to get them. I think they are getting use to us hehe.

Back
Top Bottom