New here and wondering about feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by logansmommy7, May 15, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Hi there! I am new at the chicken business, have just moved into my new house/small farm, and am starting out with chickens. Quite frankly, I haven't gotten my chickens yet but am fixing up the coop and run and will be getting my birds this Sunday. I will be getting two laying hens, a rooster, and 4 smaller, baby chickens (not sure of the age but they are out with the flock). What should I feed these two different ages of chickens??

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    The younger ones need to be separated from the older ones. They should get different feed if they are very young. Are they all from the same flock? If so, I wouldn't worry about them too much. They should already be acquainted, just make sure the big ones don't hog all the feed. Layer feed will be okay for all of them, but the younger ones should probably get starter/grower. If they are really small, they definitely need starter, not layer.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

You could use Flock Raiser from Purina since the younger chicks are out with the flock. Just have a bowl of oyster shell available for the layers.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by