New Here at BYC and I have Chicken Fever!

PrepShepherd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
VA
Hello all, for those who care here is my story :) I've known about the site for a year or more and wanted to join just hadn't till now. We use to have Chickens around 14 years ago and every other animal you could imagine. We had Rodes, Americanas, Bannies, Dominiques and over the years we had gotten rid of them or they died of old age. With the economy being what it is I decided to buy some more critters for an insurance policy, just in case the economy went south I could still eat. I wanted Chickens for eggs, but not many since it costs an arm and leg even back then. I bought 6 adult Americanas back in the spring 1 Roo, 5 Hens, very pretty, paid 25 for all. Already had eggs coming out of my ears, 5 a day and I don't eat many to begin with :p only getting 1-2 atm.

I forgot how fun it was watching them run around so I decided to get more, but different breeds and colors this time. So I got 3 Black sexlinks, 3 Wyndottes, 3 Barred rocks, 1 brown sexlink, 1 jersy Gaint and a Australorp. 2 Barreds the Brown and the Australorp didn't make it between getting eatin or getting sick :(. I have one Black SL roo and 1 WynD roo out of those 8. They where spoiled rotten, as chicks they would sit on me wanting me to pet or feed them. Now there 6 months old Still friendly and under foot except the Wyndottes. The Black SLs and Barred rock let me pick them up and pet them. The rooster is the worst cause he is always bugging me for food and lets me know by rubbing his beak on me or rooting me with it, I pick him up, pet him and he doesn't care. My Barred follows me like a dog and almost trips me everyday, then she gives me that side-way stare like "hey what are you doing?" lol. The WynDs are somewhat friendly, they come up to eat out of my hand and will let me pick them up or pet them if they're perching. My Jersey G was very sweet, loved to be picked up, but everyone beats her up so now she is standoffish and flocks with the Ducks since they aren't mean to her. They are like the Duck Mafia, all the ducks bow to the Male duck, the Don and if any of the Roos get uppy he beats them down with his possy behind him lol. The Jersey and most of the younger chickens grew up with the Ducks so they are under their protection.

After that I ended up getting some Free Game Bantam eggs to hatch. Had 10 eggs, 8 hatched and ended up with only one that survived (the color of a Black SL), no clue what happen to the others they just got sick. I ended of getting 3 free Bantams (some kind of dutch breed I think) from the neighbor, So now I have 1 roo and 3 hens of Bannies.

Ok so after getting the first 6 I said no more, then 8 more I said no more for sure....Then the Bantams...no more! Well...then yesterday I get 5 barred rocks, 1 Buff Orpington chick and just today I got 1 Mille Fleur d'Uccle Roo, a chick and 4 eggs to hatch. If that wasnt bad enough I have Sliver, mottled, columbian and Mille Fleur Cochin eggs coming. What on earth em I'm going to do with all these chickens? lol. On top of that I plan to deveplop my own breed, the main trait I want is a pure pet chicken and I plan to use only the friendlist among my current flock, yep got chicken fever now!

I'm on 5 Arces and they all free range, which helps on food cost. 2 1/2 of it is fenced and adding more this winter, though they are free to come and go over the fence. They seem to be smart though they know were its safe and where its not, they hug the fence line, buildings and other animals for protection. Planting wheat now, corn, oats and other crops later in spring in hopes of lessening the feed cost. So much to do, lots of fencing and coops to put up, everything I built for the cirtters was 2nd hand wood or free pallets. I also have ducks, turkeys, sheep, goats, quail and want other fowl this spring...I have my hands full lol.

Wyndotte Rooster Mr Humpty, the only one I named because he humps everything including the ducks and Turkeys lol.

Black Sexlink roo. Very Friendly and I hope he stays that way, all the other roos in the past I rasied became mean.

One of my Black sexlink girls chilling. They think their yard chickens, even poop on the porch...that is what I get for raising them in the front yard instead of the Backyard!

One of my Wyndotte girls being photogenic, I took lots of pics and she was just sitting there poseing like take more I know I'm beautiful!

My Barred Rock trying to figure out what I'm up too.

My Jersey, wish I would of gotten more everyone beats her up. She use to be real sweet she still is, but she is scared cause if she gets near me the others get jealous and pick on her.

3 of my Americanas.

My Fave of the Americanas, love the color! anyone know what color she is considered?

My other Fave Color of the Americanas.

I have lots of pics so if you want any more posted let me know :)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Wow! Here I thought that 14 hens was pushing it for me on 6 acres. I have too many hawks, foxes, racoons, possums and country wandering dogs and feral cats to contend with for my hens to free range and the amount of fencing I'd have to put up to provide better protection would be too prohibitive. I'm envious to say the least.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! @rheston what do you mean by prohibitive? Local ordnance wont let you or did you mean because of the cost? We have all those and coyotes thanks to the parks, they claim they cut deer numbers down, but they eat everything and spread like wild fire. I think the reason I've been lucky is because of a few things. First I'm surprized how smart they are, to never have lost any flock members they know how to avoid risky situations. Example: where ever there ins't any fencing they stay close and if they see a strange dog/animal they will head down back and ethier go back in the pen or perch off the ground, also the Americanas have a Roo and the other flock (my younger Girls) have 2 roos to protect them. I don't clip their wings, all fences are closed so they have to fly over if they want out, 5 closed sections of fence and a few I could close off if I wanted. All of them can get out, but a few choose not to free range (3 Americanas and the jersey). I free range my Turkeys and plan to free range Quail, pheasant and doves next year, I try my best not to confined the Birds since they have the gift of flight doesn't seem right and I love to watch them do what they do.

Honesty though I think the main reason nothing bothers mind is the neighbor has over 500 so most predators stalk his place. Eventually I want to fence in nearly 4 acres and have multiple inner pens (sorta of like a Castle with inner walls to protect it) that way it would be harder for something to get in or out, also I hope to get another GSD or train one of my Corgis to be a gaurd dog. My final defense will be Guinea fowl since they let you know if something shouldn't be there, plus they may eat them vs the Chickens. Oh and I had this Idea, my male Shepherd ins't good with livestock, but I thought of building a run up and down the out side of the fence and let him run it during the day (I keep my chicks up at night so no worries there) never had an issue with him digging or climbing out so its in the back of my mind.

@All Henned Up lol yeah this time I'm not saying it!

My new Barred rock Chicks and a Buff O, the rocks are already friendly. Its 5 rocks, not sure if I'm going to keep them all I'm thinking about keeping a Roo and Hen only. The chick in the back is my new Mille Fleur d'Uccle, The Guy didn't want to deal with just one chick so he sold me her for 8, the chick, an adult roo and 4 eggs where $23 total. Love the little feet feathers, looks like a little kid running around with big boots lol. She is (I think its a Hen but not sure) a bit skittish since she never had any other chicks to interact with, wasn't keen on putting her in with the others, least since this one is like gold kind of a rare breed, but it needs to learn to be part of a flock and I think once she gets use to them she will be much happier then by herself.

The Girls out enjoying the day.

Back
Top Bottom