New here but not to chickens

Nursiedeer

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Raymore, Missouri
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had our first "birds" in 1993 or94. Then quit for awhile. in 2002 Decided to try again and have had some ever since. The men in my life have changed but the chickens stayed :)
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
13 10 in one house they are the older ones. Then I have three I am raising in the dogs kennel that I changed over a bit for them. They are around 8 weeks old.
(3) What breeds do you have?
we have an eclectic group. I like all my girls. My girls...1 Australorp Shorty. 1 Araucana , Olive. 2 leghorns one older one Ashton who my 9 year old raised when he was 4! Ashton grew up with a Crested Khaki Campbell Duck who was a housepet of mine. And one younger one, We call Cat, because she looks just like Ashton only a bit smaller. Scarlet is a production Red. The only one we have left after a big run on Raccoons the spring of 2010. Tiger is a Black sex link, and then there is Speckles a Silver Laced Wyandotte. ( my 14 year old son's favorite of the moment). Then we have the boys 3 Australorp Roosters 2 needing new homes and all neding names. It seems my son only names the girls! Then I have the Three in the dog kennel 2 araucanas and a Silver laced we are hoping to get a mate for our girls out of them. I also have 8 eggs in a bator due in just a few days WE HOPE! Two of them are from our Pet Rhode island red girl. Part of our original crop. She was the last remaining and was caught by a dog who got out. This girl would lay me two eggs a day and so her last two are in the incubator.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found this site during many searches for chicken answers and after a few years I have decided to "Talk chicken" with others who may understand my special kind of insanity!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to write Can you tell? I am into lots of crafts and have sewn and made many different things most of my life. Crochet scrap booking gardening.. lots of stuff

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
There are 5 of us in the home. My husband and I have 11 children between us. And as many grandchildren even though my youngest child is 9. WE are as eclectic as our chickens! My soon to be 15 year old son is my fellow bird addict and he names most of our chickens. His favorite Bird for many years was Pablo the duck. Then His older sister is still at home while in culinary school.
I am a self confessed knowledge junkie and can't wait to hear all the years of "chicken wisdom" from this forum.

welcome-byc.gif
from Oregon! Glad you joined. I hope your hatch goes well!

Welcome to BYC.

I have had chickens off and on most of my life since I was a kid.

Rightnow I have 19 Welsummers (3 roos, 16 pullets about 3 months old)

I also have 5 French Black Copper Maran chicks about a week old. (bought and hatch some eggs)

Can you tell I'm after dark eggs?

I have a 16 yr old daughter, 14 yr old son, and a 10 yr old son.

Love to garden, fish, hunt, home improvement projects, and anything to do with my chickens (coop building etc.)

WE like dark eggs here too. But my OLIVE lays the prettiest eggs. They are (but of course) OLIVE in color! I never thought I would become so protective over eggs but I have lived for these 8 little miracles for 17 days now.
These will be my first home grown chickens. WE started them because their mama was killed by a dog. Two of the eggs are hers and I panic for them daily.
My latest concern is they are head to point of the egg and I can't figure how to turn them around!
It took me two days to get the temp up in the incubator and I was scared of that, until I read somewhere they slowly heating the eggs was a good thing instead of the shock of putting them in a warmer environment immediately.
I was so relieved to see them in there moving. So now if I can just turn them all around as most seem to be upside down? Guess I should post this as a question elsewhere?
Nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom