New here from Los Angeles proper!!!

CityGalChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 30, 2010
I am new to chickens and decided that I wanted them about a year ago. I am an urban city gardener and future city chick owner. I am now in the process of building my coop and have my baby girls arriving mid July.

I have ordered my baby chicks from "My Pet Chicken", which consists of 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte and 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte. Their names will be Ronnie, Bobbie, Rickie and Mic.

I found backyardchicken.com from the back of Storrey's Guide to Poultry Breeds and I am sooooooooo glad that I found this site. I have been lurking on this site for the past 6 months getting ideas, learning about breeds, pests, problems, coops, etc.

My other hobbies include gardening and salsa dancing. I am a child care provider and I incorporate gardening in my teaching and want the kids in my care to experience where their food comes from. Chickens will help further their connections to food, as well. My parents are very excited about this addition to our little urban farm daycare. We have two dogs, Nina and Smokey, one a maltese poodle and one is a terrier mix.

Hi and welcome to BYC! You will learn lots here! The kids will just love the chicks and so will you. Please post pics when you get them!

Lucky kids to have your little urban farm experience. I too am a gardener. I wish you the best. You'll adore your Buff Orpington. We have the sweetest BO hen and everyone says the same thing about them. Best of luck in your new adventure.
thumbsup.gif

Welcome from a fellow newbie.

Sounds like you have great plans for your chickens! My husband and I don't have children yet but we were remarking the other day, when we do, we will definitely get some more chicks. We find them so fascinating – the way they change daily; I can only imagine how a exciting they would be for a young child to observe.

We also ordered our chicks from mypetchicken.com. We had to order 8 because we don’t live near a major city, but they all arrived within 3 days of hatching healthy, peeping, and just as cute as can be.

Erin

@ New Hen, no I am not at CCS. What and where is CCS? Just wondering, I'm always researching schools!!

Thanks everyone for the welcome!!!

Quote:
Hey, can you post a picture of the wyandottes you got from MPC? I'm thinking of getting one (just one) and was wondering about their quality.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom