New here from PA

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CathyB, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CathyB

CathyB Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Hey Sara and Meriuka! You are both really close! I am still trying to find where I am getting my little chicks. I want all hens. Trying to find RIR's, Black Aussies, and Buff orps. Mostly everywhere is sold out! Some even say not available for backorder. MyPetChicken.com says there are limited #'s available for a hatch date of 5/5. So I just called DH and asked if I can order NOW instead of waiting until payday, Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You could call Albrights Feed Mill, chick orders had to be handed in by March 31st, but they usually order extras. You can get all pullets. Ideal Poultry is good, I got chicks from there a while ago. TSC in Temple had a sign hanging that chicks are coming April 15th, don't know if they will be straight run or what. There is also a TSC in Trexlertown, I don't know if they are getting chicks. I don't currently have any of the breeds you are looking for. [​IMG]

3. CathyB

CathyB Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I will check TSC in Trexlertown! Thanks!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

No problem! Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with! [​IMG]

5. CathyB

CathyB Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    The person who answered really did not know muchat TSC. I called Germansville Feed again an asked. They will not be ordering Black Aussies. Of course, since they are my fave! My second fave was the RIR and they will be getting those. Also available to order were red sexlink, easter eggers, and one or tweo more he rattled off that I could not make out what he said. I know one was a white egg layer, I understood that part! I might have to suck it up and just order there and deal with having to wait a while for my dream chicken! I am sure it will be much cheaper than ordering from MyPetChicken. Since I wanted less than 15 they are gonna cahge me a 25 dollar fee for a small shipment and then about 15 dollars shipping! For 8 chickens I will owe like 65 dollars. IDK.............

6. meriruka

meriruka Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    If you're considering Red Sex links, I recommend Moyer's chicks in Quakertown. You can pick up as many as you like. I got my first ever batch there (4), they are all sweethearts.

7. CathyB

CathyB Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks to everyone! I ordered by babies! I had to go with Germansville Feed since it was the most practical and cost efficent. So, on May 16th I will pick up my babies: 4 RIR's, 3 Ameraucana's, and 3 Barred Rocks!! Not my dream chicken of a black aussie but if all goes well with these girls I may just add on to my flock one day, and you can bet they will be black aussies!

TSC was out since I called then and the chicks were all straight run:(.

I am now getting anxious and worring like a new mom already! DH has to have the coop and run ready by the second week of June from what I am thinking. Plenty of time, right?? We are converting an old shed and already have the wire and wood for the outside pen area, covered on top of course! Just need to get a new shed to get my stuff out of the old one and start adding roosts and chicken boxes![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  8. chickenannie

chickenannie Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Cathy, welcome. I'm in Lanc Co, south of Allentown... Enjoy your new chickies!

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome Cathy!

I grew up in PA and miss those beautiful mountains! I lived in Dallas (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) area for 15 yrs and DH lived in Allentown area all his life. We're both grads of PSU.

Best of luck getting your chickens!

10. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Hi Cathy,
    I am new to this site too. I am in Perkasie, just south of Quakertown. I just placed my first order with Moyer's chicks (very nice people)--they are due to hatch June 3rd. Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: