1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new here :) hi and winter questions??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenlady73, Sep 23, 2015.

1. chickenlady73

chickenlady73 New Egg

Aug 25, 2015
    hi everyone,
    new chicken mom here, I've had 3 Rhode Island reds for about 6 months now, starting small.. I've been warned that my addiction will grow.. i had read SO much conflicting info about what is best going into winter that I am TOTALLY confused! I am in Chicago, hoping to hear from somewhere near me, with similar weather, thoughts on freezing water, to heat or not to heat? what type of bedding do you use in your coops? do you give them access to the run everyday in the cold temps? down to what temp?? HELP?? obviously this is my first winter.. I'm a mess.... go easy on me [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Trailrider gave you very good advice. You have to remember chickens are wearing down jackets. A flock of them in a coop give off a lot of heat, which is why you need adequate ventilation near the top of your ceiling. It's also good to use 2 x 4's as roosting posts. Have the 4" side up. Chickens are not gripping birds like robins or sparrows. They prefer to have their feet spread flat on a roost and lay down over them to keep them warm. Some people like to nail towels to the roost posts, to help keep their feet warm.

You will have to provide fresh drinking water - which means either a heated water bowl, or frequent trips to break the ice for them. Otherwise they can do well on their own.

You may also want to join the Illinois thread and get advice from folks who have gotten their chickens through winter many times before. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by