New here! Just got ducks, will be getting chickens next :)

sarah_31

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - We will be getting chickens later in the summer or early fall. Want to settle into the routine with the new ducks first.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? - The plan is to get 4 chickens. We're in the suburbs so I'm limited to my flock size.

(3) What breeds do you have? - No breed preferences. My daughter is more educated than myself in terms of breeds she's interested in raising.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? - Hopefully just enjoying taking care of a different type of animal, seeing their personalities!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? - I enjoy cooking, hiking, traveling, spirituality, being a mom to my 11 year old, going to the ranch where we board her horse

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. - I'm a Registered Nurse, a single mom. In addition to the horse and three ducks we have two cats, a dog, a bearded dragon and a parakeet.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D - I was googling help for my single duckling and the bonded pair I just adopted!

Thanks for the welcome! The 2 week old baby we got from our friend is part khaki campbell and part lavender something. It has brownish grey downy fluff with a yellow chest. (I'm definitely a beginner and learning from my friend's flock and my daughter's powerpoint presentations on duck ownership). The 5 week old bonded pair we have is black and white, no idea what breed. According to google images they look like an ancona.

Good idea holding off on the chickens for a while. In my experience, ducks are far messier but more hardy. I worry about my chickens when it's too hot, too cold, too snowy -- you get the idea. The ducks seem unconcerned about anything except where their next meal is going to be served and how soon their human can refill their pools.

Welcome to BYC; let us know what breeds your daughter chooses, and best wishes with your ducks!

Back
Top Bottom