New here no experience with chickens what so ever!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 07butler, Apr 6, 2017.

1. 07butler

07butler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Hi I'm from the south decide I wanted some egg layers I currently have 2 almost 3 weeks old rir chicks so any suggestions on raising when to move outside and when to take off the light would be very helpful I've been reading like crazy my head is about to explode with info lol thanks

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    You can take the light off your chicks at about 5 weeks, or when they are fully feathered out. and move them outdoors at 7 weeks. That's what I did with mine. Just make sure they have a fenced in area to keep out predators.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Everyone was new at some point! If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center...there are articles there that cover just about every topic you can imagine.

Best of luck to you!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, 07butler, and welcome to BYC! It's great to have you in our community! Here's a link to the Baby Chicks section of the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    There should be some useful info there for you! Good luck on your chicken journey and thanks for joining BYC!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under 07butler [​IMG] Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like an enabler [​IMG] you might want to consider getting at least one more chicken. Sadly, we lose chickens along the way and if you lose one, your remaining hen will be very lonely. I have been there, done that and got the T-shirt! Had to race out and find my lone chicken a friend, waive quarantine etc. Now, I have 5 and make sure I never drop below 3.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Teila is right, it's always good to have an extra 1 or 2 birds as backup, in case you lose one. Depending on age, it can be complicated to add new birds to established ones, and a single chicken wants company.

8. 07butler

07butler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Yes we have two right now they were early Easter presents for my kids. I have someone bringing me some more chickens this weekend but they are older. So I will have 2- 3 week old chicks and 3-4 7 week old chicks so the smaller ones will stay inside till they are big enough to join the others, from what I've read it's good not to mix them together. We hope to finish our pen this weekend.

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG]Hi there and [​IMG]! We're glad you could join the flock!

You can't go wrong with a beautiful RIR hen! As long as they are fully feathered and if the weather permits, you should be able to put them outside when they are at least 5 (6-8 preferred) weeks old. I'd recommend using a heat lamp at a portion of the night, if not during the day, for the first little while so they can become acclimated. (As you probably know, chicks naturally tend to hunker down in a big ball of fluff when they go to sleep at night - this will help them stay warm when the temps are lower.) Another good approach is to let the chicks roam around outside (under supervision of course) for a couple hours each day so they can get more used to the outdoors, and then to make the transition when they seem big, strong, and feathered enough to do so. Other than that, just check your weather forecast and if it looks good then there ya have it! Transitioning 'em is quite fun and entertaining to see them get used to and absolutely love the much larger space for them to run around and play. Anyways, good luck and have fun!

P.S. Sorry if I made your head explode even more...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by