New here & worried about my eggs

Chickaletta89

Chirping
Apr 16, 2024
Hi all, new here as stated above. I’m wondering if anyone can help. I’ve read lots of threads which give me hope but I’ll put the specifics here just in case anyone has any insight.

So it’s my first time hatching eggs. I had 20 set but removed 8 before lockdown as they were either infertile or had failed to progress early on. Yesterday was day 22 and just one chick hatched who is so sweet but most likely is lonely as hell all alone, which is so sad.

Today, day 23 the other eggs have not pipped, I see no movement. I candled them today and I’m no expert but it looks as though most are full with just the air cell showing. I think I can see a little bit of blood vessels but I really don’t have a clue and can’t see any movement with the fullness of the egg.

Has anyone encountered this problem and had success?

I borrowed the incubator from someone who set it up for me. They regularly hatch eggs so I assume it was done correctly but perhaps not.

I’ve seen lots of people recommending water tests or direct intervention at this stage but I’d be terrified I’d cause injury to the little babies if they are alive. I suppose I’ll just have to wait it out and be patient. I really hope they’re ok 😔

If nothing happens by tomorrow, I might candle again and put up photos of what I see. Thank you for the good wishes 🙏

Welcome to BYC. I usually leave my eggs until day 25. I've had one that I thought was dead hatch on day 24. They don't have much room to move by that stage and you can't see well because the egg is full. If none hatch, maybe you can pick up a few pullets at a farm store to keep your little company.
Don't do a water test. More than likely it would drown any chicks that were alive.

Yes I think I’ll wait a couple of days and then go get some siblings for this little one. I don’t even know what breed it is or the sex but we just wanted chickens more as pets than anything else, and I thought it would be good for my children to see them grow from an egg! At least they saw one but we would love to see more.

It’s such a massive failure rate. I’m wondering if the incubator is just some cheap Chinese brand 🤷‍♀️ Here is the little cutie

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    997.2 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to BYC!
Do not do the water test. Water can get in through the pores and drown the chick. I'd get a calibrated thermometer and see what temperature it reads.
Can you just use a normal thermometer like you would use yourself? Sorry I’m totally clueless, I thought the machine would give an accurate reading. So disappointed I didn’t do more research. I actually paid a chicken breeder for a loan of the full setup to hatch the chicks and it has been fairly unsuccessful so far but glad to have one little baby

Can you just use a normal thermometer like you would use yourself? Sorry I’m totally clueless, I thought the machine would give an accurate reading. So disappointed I didn’t do more research. I actually paid a chicken breeder for a loan of the full setup to hatch the chicks and it has been fairly unsuccessful so far but glad to have one little baby
I'd use a meat thermometer if you have one, but a human one might work.

Back
Top Bottom