New Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsWright, Nov 15, 2008.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Hi all...

My name is Shanna. I am just getting started with chickens.
    I am expecting my incubator on Tuesday and then I will be ordering eggs.
    I will only be planning on a few chickens and a couple ducks, but it just might get out of control...LOL
    Anything that gets rid of bugs will get along great with me! I am hoping to have the following breeds:

Chickens
    Orpington
    Jersey Giants
    Salmon Favorelle
    Calif. Grays

Ducks
    Khaki Campbell
    Buff Orpington
    Cayuga

I would love advice, as poultry is the only thing I have no experience with!

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG] to the addictive site!!

I love my khaki campbells and Rouens [​IMG]

My chickens are great too [​IMG]

Wendy

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I love my khaki campbells and at teh moment have a white one - she is a reall character and a very good layer. Good luck with yor flock and welcome![​IMG]

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    [​IMG] You'll find this place TOTALLY addicting! [​IMG]

5. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome, and enjoy!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    First of all... [​IMG]

Secondly, if you are getting an incubator, I can almost guarantee it will get out of hand!! [​IMG] Hatching is so addictive!
    I have absolutely none of the chicken breeds you have listed, but I do have a pair of cayugas, and I love them. If you want something just for bugs and weeds, I would recommend guineas for bugs and geese for weeds, if you are in an area that you can keep them. They are both quite loud! I got my chickens for bug control this summer, and a month or so later got my guineas. The chickens were eating them, but just not fast enough. 90% of a guinea's diet is bugs, so they are very effective.

Another tip is if you keep ducks and chickens together, make sure to keep the water outside of the coop. The ducks will make a huge mess of it!! You can get a small kiddie pool for the ducks to swim in, after they get their feathers.

Not sure what else, but if you have specific questions, there are many knowledgeable people here who are happy to help!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG]

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Thanks everyone,

I have always had animals until I got married and had kids. Now we just have the typical dog and cat situation...LOL
    We don't have alot of bugs, just enough to feed some chickens and such...LOL
    We live in a rural area, but inside of city limits, I guess if my neighbors complain about the noise, I'll just give them some fresh eggs and explain to them that their barking dogs have never caused me to complain...LOL
    We are going to build a coop similar to the one on the Buff Orpington description page. Our ducks and chickens will share a coop but most of the time they will be roaming the backyard. I have not decided on a water area yet. Maybe some wine barrels cut in half length ways. Or maybe an antique bath tub.
    Not quite sure.

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome,

Godd luck with your plans, sounds like you are so excited about this.

Jena

10. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Welcome to you. You do realise that you already sound like one of us. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by